Existing Member?

Shazza's Escapades Light hearted look at my travel escapades

South Africa Again 2023

SOUTH AFRICA | Monday, 6 March 2023 | Views [25]

It was 15 years I think since my last visit. The airport bus no longer ran because of fuel costs so was stuck and spent the rands I had for emergencies on a taxi. In fact I was 100 rands short so the Zimbabwean taxi driver asked me to buy fuel using my card to make up the difference.
I arrived at my accommodation which turned out to be a service centre for local people needing support in terms or education,  work placement and housing. Scalabrini Centre was an Italian NGO and the money raised by accommodation to travellers helped with their funding. It was central and cheap.
I spent my time in Cape Town walking to and from the Victoria and Albert waterfront and the city centre. Nothing much has changed except the waterfront was much larger now. Long Street, Bo Kaap and the rest of the was the same. I still couldn't climb table mountain by myself just in case I was killed.                      

     
This time I got the chance to walk all the way to Seapoint as it was the only place I could find online for a covid test which the cruise ship insisted on during the last 48 hours. After I knew I was negative for covid I finally relaxed and took it the views of Seapoint town. Unfortunately the cloud from table mountain decided to come along with me and obscure any views of the sea. I walked back into the city centre before it got dark. I was warned about being alone in the dark, in fact they warn me about it even during the day.
It was a long walk and an even longer wait for the emailed results. The negative results were quick enough but it was until 7pm before I got the email which was a huge relief. 

 

About shaz


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.