Existing Member?

Shazza's Escapades Light hearted look at my travel escapades

Fiji 2019

FIJI | Monday, 12 August 2019 | Views [197]

I arrived at midday on a tiny plane from Tonga. My taxi was 30 mins late to take me to Smugglers Cove hotel. The only good thing about this hotel is the beach side of it. I decided to just chill for 2 days until my island tour starts. There were 3 other ladies on the tour, nice and small group. We drove an hour to Likura boat jetty to Cateour boat to Robinson Crusoe island. It was a 30,mins ride through a lovely mangrove river and I was surprised not to see or hear any birds. The resort staff serenaded us as were arrived. The island resort was small for guests but they took day visitors and this night there were going to be 120 people on the island. Not much I could do but make the best of it. My little hut was lovely with a huge bed and a very powerful fan. It kept blowing things off my bed. My own shower and toilet was outside so I can see the blue sky and stars whenever I used it. I didn't snorkel as there were too many people. I walked around the island and chilled in the hammock. I met the only dog and 2 cats on the island. Lunch was great. After that there was some crap about a 200 year old turtle which was a guy dressed as one and a crab race. I ate some coconut and chilled on the beach till it was time to get ready for the show. I don't normally like culture shows for tourists but this was really good. Maybe it was the kava (local drink) I had too much off which made my tongue and lips numb for 20 mins but I really enjoyed the show. The kava drink is given during a welcoming ceremony. There were dancing and fire performances and I loved the music. Then then dinner was fantastic. I loved it. The show ended with an amazing fire performance on the beach and then we said our goodbyes to the day visitors. Then me and the girls danced the night away...well to 4 songs at least.
The next morning we headed south of the island. We took the same boat back and this time the knickerless owner joined us. I didn't enjoy my view this time round but as the boat was full and I couldn't turn my head all I got to see was an old woman's minge. We stopped at Sigatoka the rugby town. I checked out the broken bridge to nowhere and the local market. Then we headed further south to Biausevu waterfall and village. It was a 30 mins walk to the waterfall and I swam in the cold water and had my picnic lunch with the 2 dogs that were there. Then it was a lovely drive to pacific harbour. The resort was amazing and my villa was beautiful. It was by the beach and it was a giant room. The shower was outside so I could enjoy it under the blue sky. The beach was clean and had soft sand and the pool was warm. My favourite place so far. The next morning we had a quick stop in Suva the capital town. It was a god awful place and only stopped for a picture of the guard at the presidential palace. Then we visited a lime stone cave which had a legend about a snake. Basically it's calcification of the rocks that make the snake shape. The more interesting story of the cave is that back in the day the Fijians used to be cannibals. They kept, fattened up, bludgeoned, cooked and ate their enemies all in that cave. Our next stop was at Nausotoka village. We were invited to the welcoming kava ceremony given by a twelve and two fifteen year olds. I didn't drink the kava this time as it gave me nightmares last time. After the ceremony we had lunch and then looked around the village. Then we went rafting in the nearby river. We were left in the capable hands of the same twelve and 2 fifteen year olds to take us down the river on a rickety raft made of bamboo sticks being held together by twine and rope. It was surprisingly calm and relaxing and more importantly only my arse got wet.
Then it was a 2 hour drive to our last resort which was the worst one yet. The staff were weird and my room was just that..a room. I've been spoiled by the other resorts. I left the group early as my flight was early. So I paid extra for the transfer. At least the driver stopped for photos. There was a hassle when I had to pay by credit card but once the machine arrived it was quickly sorted. I checked in for my flight and enjoyed the lovely views of the rest of the Fijian islands. Fiji airways though was not very entertaining as they showed the original superman movie. Get some new movies Fiji airways.

 

About shaz


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Fiji

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.