Existing Member?

Shazza's Escapades Light hearted look at my travel escapades

Tonga 2019

TONGA | Thursday, 8 August 2019 | Views [172]

I arrived at night and the guesthouse picked me up. Francis was a big guy with big hair. He turned 18 the next day so technically he was driving me without a license. The guesthouse is run by Paia his grandmother. Neil her son who organised my stay lives in Brisbane. He made major mistakes, one was saying I had my own bathroom and second was incorrectly pricing a tour. I ended up doing the tour anyway even though it was 4 times more than it should have been but I wanted to see the island and had no other choice The tour started with a stop at the bakery to pick up supplies and it was delicious. After the bakery we headed off on our island tour only to be stopped by the Police. It seems my host was doing 56 miles in a 50 zone. Paia actually had zoomed off and I could see the policeman in the wing mirror waving his arms. So Paia drove back. After much talking and what looked like begging as I heard please give me one more chance, he let us go. Great start to the tour.On the way we also bought lu sipi and casava for lunch and other vegetables for dinner. We started in the eastern part of the island. Captain cooks landing was the first stop. Nothing special. Then to some ancient tombs in Lapaha. Still not impressed. Then to the monolith stones at Haamonga which are giant stones which people used as a gateway to see the king. Still nothing that exciting. Then we were off to see the fishing pigs. I had to ask Paia to say it again as I thought I heard her wrong but no we were definitely going to see pigs fishing. I wasn't convinced but we did. There were 2 pigs on the beach as the tide was coming in and they had their snouts in something at the beach on Talafoou. I could hear them snort and much on whatever sea life they found. Then it was to the Anahulu cave pools. This was exactly what it was. It was an actual cave where you entered and walked under low rocks and it was dark with stalagmites and stalactites and eventually end up in the pool. The water was obviously cold and I couldn't swim for too long because of the temperature. Also the kids and their loud music was a little distracting. I say kids but I mean teenagers probably bunking off school. I could hear their music as I entered the cave. I thought I was going to a cave pool party. There were 2 teenage couples swimming and jumping around having fun. I felt like a fifth wheel. So I took some pictures and left. We missed the Hufangalupe bridge as Paia was too afraid to drive on the very bad roads. I hope the bridge wasn't anything too special but knowing my luck it's probably the highlight of Tonga. On our drive to the western side of the island I saw the famous three headed coconut. It actually was a three headed coconut tree. Then we went to Houma for the blow holes. To be fair blow holes haven't blown me away so I wasn't fussed really but when I got there and saw it, I was amazed. It was the best blow hole ever. It was magnificent. It went on for miles. I could have watched it for hours. The waves crashing was awesome. Definitely impressed by this stop. Next was the tsunami rock at Kalaau. It was a giant rock that blew in from the sea a gazillion years ago. On the way to another beach we saw some flying foxes or bats in a tree in a cemetery. They were quite big actually. The beach resort wasn't much but it was empty. It was coming to the end of the tour and I saw Tasmans landing and the royal burial grounds on red square. I also saw the King's palace which was quite humble and a French cafe with the reddest roof. Then we made our way back to the guesthouse for Francis birthday pizza. The next day was a relaxing on a beach kind of day. Francis dropped me off at the wharf and I caught a small boat to the island of Fafa. It was 40 mins away maybe half that time if the boat went faster. The captain was talking on his phone and driving the boat with his foot. The island had a resort and beach huts all over for guests. I was a day guest. I spent the day walking on the beach, swimming and snorkelling but the reef is badly damaged but still lots of fish. I even saw a baby reef shark. I figured mum was about and got out pretty quick. Lunch was a tuna curry. I ordered coconut water but ironically they didn't have any. I gestured at the surrounding coconut trees but again the irony was lost on them. Saturday was well and truly done. Sunday was a trip to Pangaimotu island. It was certainly busier and not a resort but a restaurant on the island. The cyclone destroyed half the island luckily not the restaurant part. In front of the restaurant is an old shipwreck. That part of the beach was the best and I enjoyed the snorkelling. I walked to the other side and saw the cyclone damage. There was so many sea life near the shipwreck. I didn't need to snorkel, I can see everything from the beach. I saw many starfish. Even saw one out of water and remembering the last time I saw a one and a dog was ate it. This one was very much alive but so far away from the water it was sure to have the same fate. So I picked it up and moved it into sea. It was surprisingly heavy. Lunch was fish and chips with an amazing view. Then some more swimming and then swinging in the hammock and stroking the only cat on the island. It was a relaxing Sunday and it was my last day on Tonga.

 

About shaz


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tonga

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.