Existing Member?

Shazza's Escapades Light hearted look at my travel escapades

Vietnam Rocks!

VIETNAM | Sunday, 10 April 2011 | Views [543]

Vietnam rocks! I loved it and it’s been a while since I had such a good trip. Great group and brilliant itinerary. My favourite was Sapa which had a 6 hour trek all the way to the home stay. Not my cup of tea trekking for 6 hours but I took my time and spent most of the walk on my own. Well not quite on my own, away from the group but I had my little lady following me. These ladies are the villagers that hound the tourists until they buy something. They spot you a mile off and then kind of attach themselves to you and no one else until you buy something and then they go away. So if you don’t buy anything like I didn’t the lady will follow you on the trek till the end. The only money I spent was $1 on some wellys or gum boots which was the best dollar I have ever spent. The paths were so muddy and very deep almost losing your boots, but with my purchase I didn’t have to worry about stepping in mud or crap. The lady was great company in the end and learned a few naughty words from me by accident. Every time I slipped I would say shit or fuck or crap so by the end of the trek she was proficient in these words…something I’m not proud of.

The catch phrase most prominent in Vietnam is “Buy from me”. Never say you have no money as they always come back with “You liar!” But it was all in good fun and they were a happy bunch.

We had a few overnight train journeys and apart from one they were all good. The last one was Hanoi to Huey which was a complete shit hole. Dirty sheets, lots of mosquitoes and non existent air con. Worst still was the cockroach crawling all over the tour leader’s bed which he eventually killed. Definitely needed a shower after that overnighter.

Loved HalongBay although we could have had better weather…very misty but still beautiful. Great food on board. Loved Huey only because of the awesome motorbike tour. Sitting on the back of a bike driven fast all the while taking photos. A great day…even with the crazy traffic.

The next three days in Hoi An was bliss as it was three days of shopping. Not just shopping but choosing your own material and having it made to measure just for a few dollars. So I had 3 dresses and a winter coat made for $110. They look so lush and I can’t wait to wear them. I haggled well, so proud of myself.

I didn’t like Saigon as much as Hanoi, much too metropolitan for my liking. I like it when chickens still roam the streets and pavements are filled with crap you can’t help but walk on the roads with a million bikes trying to avoid you. Loved Hanoi might even go back for more shopping.

The only embarrassing moment was being let down by my arse at the Cu Chi Tunnels. I got into the tunnels ok and crouched down and did up to 30 metres before I panicked because it went black for a second. Luckily I had another great buy, a head torch also for a dollar which helped me find my way out. No, I nearly got stuck in the hole in the ground tunnels. I put my feet in and I could feel the opening touch the sides of my hips and knew that when I got in there would be a chance of me not getting me back out. So I chickened out and said no way as I knew I would get stuck. Besides I think my tits would have also said no had my arse got it. So it was a good decision all round. Vietnamese people are small.

 

 

 

About shaz


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.