Existing Member?

Shazza's Escapades Light hearted look at my travel escapades

Taiwan Oct 2010

TAIWAN | Thursday, 28 October 2010 | Views [486]

Totally had the wrong impression of Taiwan. I expected it to be a very mini China. Oh how I was wrong…it is like China but without all the horrible bits. Not sure if you know what I mean but from my experience imagine China without pollution, over crowding, bad human rights record, unfriendly people and constant spitting. This is what Taiwan is like but even better because everyone speaks English as well. The ease of travelling around Taiwan is just so blissful. The friendliness of the people you meet who are willing to help you to get to your destination. Nobody shouting or pushing you. It was simply wonderful.

It was even cheaper than I had imagined. My pounds went a long way. Food was good too and I loved all the food bars where you get an empty container and go along the tables picking what you want to eat and then paying a pittance for it. I loved all the custard breads and pastries. I loved the 7 elevens in every corner open nearly 24/7.

I wished I stayed a little longer so I could have visited the south of the island. The ease of travelling made me want to venture further but I didn’t have the time.

The only downside to my trip was the slightly miserable weather although it did not stop me from exploring the area. There were so many underground subways that you didn’t really get wet. The other thing that kind of made me sick every time I left the hotel was the very strong smell of boiled meat in particular boiled pork. As I was slap bang in the centre of town in between the food district the waft of fatty meats would come through to the entrance of the hotel. For about 20 yards from the entrance you would have to hold your breath or puke up. That was my experience anyway but it didn’t stop me from trying their food.

I visited many beautiful temples and shrines, everything in immaculate condition. Their tube system was fabulously cheap and easy to use. Everybody queued for everything and nobody pushed. The only experience I had of queue jumping and pushing and lots of shouting was at the Taipei 101 where I met many Chinese visitors from the mainland. The Taiwanese people working in the visitor centre apologised for their behaviour and made sure to tell me that the people causing the noise and pushing were from China and not from Taiwan. He was pretty adamant…I don’t think the Taiwanese like the Chinese very much.

 

 

About shaz


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Taiwan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.