Existing Member?

Shazza's Escapades Light hearted look at my travel escapades

Tahiti 2019

FRENCH POLYNESIA | Wednesday, 31 July 2019 | Views [180]

The first thing to hit my senses as I arrived was the beautiful smell of flowers, I think it smelled like jasmine. Arriving at an airport has never smelled so good. After security I looked for an atm but my card didn't work. Went to the money changers only to he hit with 700 franc charge. I changed 40 nz dollars for the local bus to Papeete as I only got 20 back. The bus came earlier than I was told so luckily I didn't wander off. It cost 200 francs and it took me straight to my hostel. My first impressions was a little disappointment. It was certainly in the heart of Papeete with its homeless people and quite obvious poverty everywhere. My hotel too wasn't like any hostel I had been in. It was quiet and no tours on display. So it took a day on the Internet to figure out what to do in Tahiti. Everything is so expensive here. In the end I managed to hire a bike for a day trip to another island nearby called Moorea. They warned me not to lock my bike up in the streets as it will get stolen. So I put my bike inside the hostel. I had to get a ferry early morning and then cycle 62kms of the island. Well it was the best decision I made. The island is so beautiful and everywhere there was a beautiful mountain scenery or a gorgeous beach. I swam in the sea at every public beach I found and even the exclusive Sofitel hotel with beach huts on the sea. I gaped in awe of the surrounding mountain views. I made good time and was halfway around the island by lunchtime. This gave me more time at the exclusive beach resort. My legs certainly needed the rest. I couldn’t believe I missed my beach and was already at the ferry terminal. So I had to cycle back to the security at Sofitel and they let me through hoping I would go straight to the public beach but I stayed in the Sofitel beach instead. It was fabulous. I was so tired the next day but I had to return the bike after cycling 80kms altogether. Then I opted for an island tour of Tahiti. Unfortunately it wasn't the best guide or island to be doing this tour. But we saw the highlights. Tahiti mainland isn't my favourite island. You use it as a gateway to other more magical islands. But you don't know that until you arrive. Nothing on the Internet that tells you this information. Oh well you live and learn.
I realised I had exchange too many dollars. I tried everywhere to change it back but no luck even the bank refused. So I decided to spend it on a last meal in Tahiti which included a cheesecake. Treat yourself! I'm forever budgeting on my trips so this was a change. In hindsight it wasn't my best decision. Firstly the meal was bloody average and the cheesecake was the worst ever. Secondly as I waited at 5:45am at the bus stop for the bus to Faa airport I slowly realised what a moron I was to spend that money. To avoid the stress I could have just spent the extra money on a taxi to the airport. But no, I had to wake up at stupid o'clock and walk in the dark in the dodgiest part of the town and wait for a bus that was supposed to come at 6am but turned up 45 minutes later. I was a minute away from going back to the hostel and begging them to change more money. Thank goodness I waited a little longer. Now I have 1000 French Pacific francs equivalent of $10 at an extortionate rate or $13 normal rate that I cannot change or use anywhere. Next time take the bloody taxi!

 

About shaz


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about French Polynesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.