Existing Member?

Shazza's Escapades Light hearted look at my travel escapades

Abkhazia 2015

RUSSIAN FEDERATION | Tuesday, 31 March 2015 | Views [241]

Abkhazia is a disputed territory and a partially recognised state by the Russians and is also funded by them. This is obviously to show Georgia to stay away. The Georgians tried to occupy Abkhazia and after a bloody battle they failed. They insist they are independent but until they can stand on their own feet and without money from Russia they are in a very precarious position.

I actually feel sorry for the Abkhazians as they have been used and abused by both sides. The Georgians and Russians will not let them go and they fight with each other through Abkhazia.

Even though all this is going on the Abkhazians are still determined to make their independence permanent and recognised throughout the world. They are doing so by trying to fix their economy and their country little by little.

This place was the Riviera for the Russians. The KGB and all rich Russians came to Abkhazia for their holidays. When the war with the Georgians happened a lot of those places were destroyed. They are now left as they are until they can get some money and rebuild.

With a lot of time and determination I think Abkhazia can make it but only if the Russians and Georgians leave them alone.

I visited many parts of Abkhazia and what I remember is the kindness and hospitality of the people. The places are not the most memorable I have seen or picturesque but the people make up for it.

 

About shaz


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Russian Federation

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.