Existing Member?

Here, there, everywhere... A modest attempt at chronicling my around the world adventure over the next year (or so).

We become parents...sort of

EGYPT | Tuesday, 12 May 2009 | Views [688]

We arrived early back in Cairo from Luxor and set off to get our Indian visas started. We found out to our surprise it takes about a week so instead of staying in Cairo we decided to take the overnight bus to Dahab on the Red Sea coast where we could relax and rest in a nice location. We had heard it was a nice place to just get some downtime without much of the usual Egyptian hassle found in Cairo, Aswan and Luxor. The bus ride was bruttle mostly because we had just come off of another overnighter from Luxor but we made it to Dahab in the morning, found a decent place to stay and made our base for the next few days. Our first night was at a decent hotel off the beach area and allowed us to explore the area to find another place that was closer to the beach and water. That evening as we were relaxing in the room one of the many stray cats came to our room. She looked relatively clean so we let her in and showered her with much needed attention. Jessica had to pick her up once and remarked that she felt pregnant. At bedtime we shooed her away and thought not much of it. Well the next day we found her under a blanket by the pool with three brand new kittens!!! She was looking for a place to have them when she came to our room, we could have been parents and felt a little bad at shooeing her away but made up for it the next few days after we moved to another hotel. Each morning and sometimes at night we would bring the mama some food because she was busy taking care of her new little kittens and keeping dad away who was up to no good.

This was the highlight of our trip in Dahab and that was the point. Our next hotel that we found for the remainder of our stay was 30 feet from the sea and each night we were lulled to sleep by the sound of the waves. It was just the relaxtion spot we needed. We spent time walking along the water, using the internet and eating felafal. In short, exactly what we needed. Unfortunately, after four days we had to leave back to Cairo to get our Indian visas and Jessica wanted to see her Egyptian friend from Italy for a few days. So we took another overnight bus back to Cairo, our third visit, found a nice hotel downtown and spent some late nights with Nardine her fiance Karem(sp) and friends. They treated us like family every place we went! Wow we loved spending time with them, I wish we could have seen them more on our previous trips to Cairo. I hope someday we can repay their hospitality either in the US or somewhere else. Big thanks to Nardine, Karem and company! Hope to see them in the future... Off to Mt Sinai then Jordan-InShaallah...

About houdyman


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.