Existing Member?

Here, there, everywhere... A modest attempt at chronicling my around the world adventure over the next year (or so).

sugar...ah honey honey

PHILIPPINES | Wednesday, 3 December 2008 | Views [809]

and a final sunset picture

and a final sunset picture

This story is out of order with Hong Kong but it was a good place to end at even with spending an extra night in Manila because of crappy Tiger Airways. I had heard of a town called Sipalay and a nearby beach called Sugar Beach that was supposed to rival the Philippines most famous beach at Boracay. I boarded a bus in Dumaguette and met Gary, an older(62) guy who was pretty much retired from the prostetics business and traveling in the Philippines for a few months. We arrived after dark in Sipalay and decided to stay the night before leaving early the next morning for Sugar Beach.

James, our friendly tricycle driver met us at 8:00am and drove us the 10km to the launching point for Sugar Beach. You have to then take a boat across a river and hike across a first beach then cross some stone steps onto Sugar Beach. I had decided to stay at a place called Driftwood Village(there are only four "resorts"on the beach) which was about 250m down the beach after coming off the steps. We made it and went to the reception hut were we met Peter, the Swiss that owned the place with his Filipina wife Daisy. He remembered me from my email and and had a hut in the back ready for me and a separate one for Gary. Gary did not really know where he was staying but he was very much happy that I had talked him to coming with me to check this place out.

The hut was simple and actually connected to two others with an outside shared bathroom, in a word-perfect. The entire place was right on the beach and as soon as I got checked in I headed for the hammocks on the beach with a copy of Robinson Crusoe to read. I spent pretty much the entire day reading, sleeping, swimming and eating. What a great day I had just relaxing. There were a few other guests at the place from Europe, etc. and the vibe was definitely relaxed. Peter was a nice fellow who had lived in the Philippines a few years before opening this place 10 years ago. He and Daisy were perfectly content. Daisy had four sisters and all but one worked at the Driftwood. Oh plus a few cousins and some neighbors, it was a family affair. Gary liked to talk politics and history so I engaged him a few times from my hammock. He served in the Vietnam war and we talked a little about him returning to Vietnam while he was in SE Asia. He was actually Canadian but had lived in the US for 40+ years. A nice guy but he had a habit of meeting lots of young Filipina women who would call or text him. You must know that in the Philippines it is quite common to see older western men, I mean much older 50s, 60s, 70s with very young Filipina women like 18-23. I personally think it is wrong and disgusting but the strange thing it is very much part of the culture here so they think nothing of it. Well no judgement from me but no part of it either. I was a little suspect of Gary's intentions but he seemed harmless. He did meet a 69 year old Australian who had a 18 year old girlfriend. Well, that is just damn wrong in my book.

Back to the resort. My day was coming to an end so I took some good sunset pics(on blog) and settled in for some dinner and conversations. I was sad I could only stay one night in this amazing place. If it had surfable waves it would be perfect, regardless I want to bring Jessica back for a few days. The beach was perfect and clean so was the water, and no hawkers to sell you anything just fishermen and their boats. So if you visit the island of Negros in the Philippines head to Sipalay and catch a tricycle to Sugar Beach. You will not regret it neither will your spirit, it will thank you in the morning. Peace...

About houdyman


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.