Existing Member?

Here, there, everywhere... A modest attempt at chronicling my around the world adventure over the next year (or so).

gryos revenge

GREECE | Monday, 25 August 2008 | Views [761] | Comments [2]

We arrived in Athens a little late from our 13 hour bus trip and missed meeting our host Giannis. So we stumbled around the bus station and metro stations trying to find luggage storage for an hour and a half before heading off to see the Acropolis and related ruins. It was of course very hot in Athens at least 38 degrees probably hotter but we knew it would be so we were prepared, sort of. We were also tired so it did not help but we set out for some sight seeing.

The Acropolis is everything you imagine it to be in pictures but 100 times better in person. However, it is under some reconstruction so some of the view was obstructed but still impressive. We toured other ruins around the city before meeting our host Giannis at 7:00pm. Turns out Giannis is a major couchsurfing host so he was also meeting another couple, a Brazilian named Fernando and an Italian named Francesca. We got to his flat, divided up floor space and shared some wine and water. Oh he also had an Estonian couple already at his place so it was a full house. He took us out for gyros and to his favorite bar, an irish bar, go figure. Jessica and I bowed out early because we were exhausted and headed for the flat. Giannis's flat is right next door to a church and the bells go off at different times so we were promptly awoken at 7:30am for the first ringing. We said goodbye to Fernando and Francesca and got ready to head out into the ruins. Oh wait two other women showed up to stay, an american and israeli for a few nights. That Giannis, quite the ladies man. Jessica and I headed out to see the Temple of Zeus and some other ruins then crashed in the park for a nap. We made it home to go to the beach before we needed to catch our ferry to Crete at 11:30pm. I was feeling pretty sick by then so I stayed home to rest. During my rest three Polish girls showed up to stay a few nights and we talked about europe, etc. while I waited for Jessica to come back from the beach. I was feeling really bad by the time we left the flat at 9:45pm and Jessica thought I should stay put but I carried on. turns out I have some bad food, gyro we suspect and I have cramps, headache and the dreaded D. We got on the ferry and because we only had seats we staked our claim to some deck space for the overnight trip. We moved around a few times trying to find the best space and finally ended up pitching the tent on deck because it got cold and windy, I also felt really horrible and had a slight fever. Woke up the next morning early at 6:30am in Crete and stopped for some toast and tea to help settle my stomach. We made it to the beach to just relax while waiting for our host George. George picked us up with his beautiful puppy Sintra and we were off to this mountian hideaway.

Comments

1

Hi! I think the bus, tram, and train patrol is looking out for you 2. What country were the other 2 women from that the "tram" guys took off the tram? Hope the eye and stomach are feeling up to all this wonderful travel. Sorry to miss Greece (Athens, Maybe some day. Waiting to hear about Crete; a place I've wondered about. Stay well! The time is going fast. Have fun. M and D

  Houdyshell Aug 26, 2008 12:47 AM

2

HI sis , this is marty .. saw mom ,dad and grandpa at ceremony. as soon as i get the picks i'll send them to you .. just send me an e-mail
love you big brow.. lol

  marty Aug 30, 2008 9:35 AM

About houdyman


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.