Existing Member?

Here, there, everywhere... A modest attempt at chronicling my around the world adventure over the next year (or so).

Prague, Praha or Prag

CZECH REPUBLIC | Tuesday, 29 July 2008 | Views [574]

Another rideshare out of Germany and we landed in Prague. We had already talked to our host Deeda earlier in the week because of having to stay in Germany longer. She could only host us for three days because she was leaving for Portugal on Tuesday, we arrived on Friday afternoon. She and her boyfriend Vtlasa live outside of Prague so it was nice to get out of the city at the end of each day if not confusing for us at first with the trains and buses.

We took our first bus to their flat and Deeda met us at the corned just as it started to rain kitties and puppies. Luckily her flat was not too far away to walk in the downpour. Vtlasa worked late so after getting settled we walked to a local restaurant and ordered some local flavor. The highlight were the little fried potato balls and cheese! Nothing like fried Camabert to get you going. We walked back to the flat bought some ice cream and met Vtlasa at the river. He was 6'6", another tall fellow but very nice and interested in learning about us.

The next day we sort of got an early start for the famed Charles Bridge to beat the hordes of tourists that clog its crossing. the weather had definately warmed up and Jessica was happy she could wear a sundress and sandals all day and night. We then walkd up into the castle area which is on a hill but not before noticing so much of the great architecture that surrounds Prague. So many exampls of barogue, gothic, neo-classical buildings that it is hard to imagine. Lots of great statues of course. Deeda had told us about the tower on a hill on the same side of town as the castle with great views of the city. We made our way there and decided to stay for several hours to view the sunset from high above(see pics). We probably stayed longer then we wanted because by the time we left we were both hungry and tired but it was worth it because Prague at night is just as good as the day. The scenes from the bridge with all the lights and all the people walking around. We made it home on the bus and crashed for the night.

We wanted to make the free Prague tour like the one we did in Berlin so we rushed out the next day, late of course, hoping to run into the group. It did not work so we just wandered around ourselves looking at more buildings then made our way over to the art nouveau area that has a building which is a really great example with some great stained glass. It was hot so we found a nice park close to the Jewish Quarter by the river and took a nap. What a place! You can tell we really like nice parks with great grass! We relaxed (read napped) and then made our way to a grocery store to buy dinner for Deeda and Vtsala.

We made a nice dinner that evening for all of us and had some great conversations about politics and religion, big cautions for many in the US but not here especially when you start off the conversations declaring your disdain for George Bush, works everytime! We discovered that the Czech Republic is the most non-religious country in Europe right now, very interesting. And Deeda and Vtsala want to move to Victoria, British Columbia as soon as she finishes her medical degree. They have never been there but they think it would the perfect place for them! Of course I talk the area up because I love that area of Canada and the US, Jessica is not yet convinced. Deeda also has a horse in Prague named Basic, we saw pictures. We think they will do great anywhere because they have a real leaning towards humanitarian work. Vtsala works in IT but he wants to use his skills to help people. They are a great couple and we wish them much success in Canada.

Off to Budapest on the 4pm bus. A quick note about the bus. The fanciest bus we have ever been on. Videos, music, drinks, food, a toilet underneath the bus, leather seats, ac, an attendant named Pitor....this ain't no Greyhound! Ciao.

About houdyman


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Czech Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.