Existing Member?

Here, there, everywhere... A modest attempt at chronicling my around the world adventure over the next year (or so).

Any way forward

USA | Wednesday, 23 April 2008 | Views [487]

Deciding to travel around the world was the easy part. Deciding what to do next was much more difficult. In the span of about four months I turned down two perfectly good jobs, gained a wonderful travel companion (more on her later) and decided to travel around the world (not necessarily in that order). Maybe what comes next is easy for some but it has not been for me. Sure around the world travel has become less exotic and more mainstream, and books, forums and discussions abound. But for someone who has worked almost his entire life and now decides to travel for one year (as least) the transition to this lifestyle can be quite daunting. Not to mention how you explain and interpet this idea to family and friends. Are you realizing a dream, running away from another or just not sure? Honestly, a mixture of all three on different levels. In the end I came to realize was this about me and how I wanted to experience living in the world. I will not say I still don't have moments of doubt, fear or even outright panic (like when I resigned)but when I drift off to sleep each evening with thoughts of the day bouncing in and out of in my head, one thought remains constant-traveling around the world is a choice- admired by many, understood by some, and completed by few. I will be one of those few.

About houdyman


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.