Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

The Bridges of Madison County

USA | Friday, 5 May 2023 | Views [197]

The Bridges of Madison County

The Bridges of Madison County

A CONFESSION, “BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY” is one of my favorite Chick-flicks. So when we saw a sign for the “actual” bridges, we just had to see where Clint and Meryl fell in love. Only six of the original sixteen bridges remain and we visited three of them. As with many movie locations, reality doesn’t exactly match what you see on the big screen, but what else would one find exciting to do in Iowa?

n

      Hollwell Bridge

nn

                   Hogback Bridge

Yes, Iowa! We were on a 1100-mile road trip from Denver to Kalamazoo for niece Ann’s wedding. It would likely be our last visit with Connie’s 92 year-old Mom and a chance to see all the Lintzes again. This is America’s Heartland where John Deere outlets outnumber Ford dealers and Trump 2020 billboards still stand among corn stubble. Since the demise of Roe v. Wade there are fewer anti-abortion billboards but possibly more reminders that Jesus is the Answer—still not sure what the question is. We had a chuckle thinking that driving 1100 miles in any direction in the UK would have put us about 300 miles out to sea.

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.