Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

It's Too Late, Baby, Now it's Too Late!

GREENLAND | Tuesday, 2 May 2023 | Views [119]

Greenland Icecap, May 2023

Greenland Icecap, May 2023

I AWOKE TO BRIGHT SUNSHINE on Monday and thought how rare an English morning like this is,  only to realize that we were back in Colorado, not the industrial Midlands—we had flown from Manchester on Saturday afternoon! 

n

                 Iceland to Colorado over Greenland

n

               Greenland up close and personal—August 2016

n

                    Greenland from 38,000 feet—July 2022

One of the niceties of Icelandair is the ability to break up the flight with a stay in Iceland—for a night or a week—on a single ticket. Last year we spent four days in Reykjavik  so this time we stayed only one night in a cheap (for Iceland) hotel then flew to Denver on Sunday afternoon. Another benefit of flying Icelandair is seeing Greenland from the air—they should add it to their advertising campaign, it’s that breathtaking. 

n

                         It doesn't look too bad (Greenland from 38,000 feet—May 2023)

n

                      But it's only May! (Greenland from 38,000 feet—May 2023)

n

       Sea Ice and the Ice Cap (Greenland from 38,000 feet—May 2023)

We saw the effects of Global Warming first-hand when we visited Greenland in 2016— rivers swollen with ice-melt and receding glaciers—and were shocked at the state of Greenland’s Icecap when we flew over last July. Once again we were in the last row on the right side, Connie in the window seat with me scrunched in the middle. I followed our route on the in-flight map and Connie started snapping photos as soon as we were over Greenland. It was hard to make a comparison—this is only May—but I wouldn’t expect the news to be good. Carole King may have been right when she sang “It’s too late, Baby, now it’s too late.”

 

 

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greenland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.