Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Jodrell Bank Observatory

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 28 April 2023 | Views [109]

Lovell Radio Telescope, Jodrell Bank Observatory

Lovell Radio Telescope, Jodrell Bank Observatory

WHEN CONNIE SUGGESTED THE JODRELL BANK Observatory both Chris and Rose smiled. Even though it was “in their neighborhood” the Jodrell Bank Centre for Astrophysics at the University of Manchester was still on their To-Do List. I had never heard of it and despite the contributions of English astronomers like Halley, Herschel (frère et soeur) and Hoyle, England seems such an unlikely place for an observatory. 

n

            Listeneing to the Universe

n

                    Reflections of a wonderful day

As it happens Bernard Lovell who established the observatory wasn’t your garden variety astronomer but a radio astronomer investigating cosmic rays which are impervious to England’s clouds among many other things. The main telescope at the observatory which still bears his name became famous for tracking space probes back in the early “Space Race” days. More recently the 250-foot diameter dish has been instrumental in the study of meteoroids, quasars and pulsars among other celestial goodies. 

n

                       Bringing out the Little Boy for 40 Years

       n                 n

          Giant Locomotives                                         Tiny Carriages 

                   n               n 

                       Speciality Trains                                      EuroStar "Chunnel" Train

Fortunately for us Chris is also a train buff and was more than willing to oblige us when we said we missed out on the National Railway Museum in York. Now that the school holidays are over we had no trouble getting tickets and even included the Virtual Reality Flying Scotsman experience. The Flying Scotsman became famous as the first train to reach 100 mph after which it became the flagship locomotive of British Railways logging over two million miles! 

n

                   "Flying Scotsman" in all its Glory

b

                            All Aboard for Hogwarts!

While Rose was thrilled with her first VR experience, Chris scooted about the model trains like a little kid. And we all met back at Platform 9¾ for Hogwarts.

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.