Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Rocky Mountain High

USA | Saturday, 6 July 2024 | Views [124]

"Isak Hearthstone," Troll of Breckenridge

IT HAS BEEN NEARLY 15 YEARS since we visited Colorado ski country—each year we promise to make the trip but keep putting it off. But Houstonian friends Greg and Laura were in town on grandparent duty and a day in the mountains seemed like a good way to reciprocate for all their Texas hospitality.

nn

                Greg and Laura on Loveland Pass

Despite their many trips to Denver, Greg and Laura had never experienced Rocky Mountain high so we decided to bypass the Eisenhower Tunnel and take them over Loveland Pass, just a skosh shy of 12,000 feet elevation. Most of the snow is gone now but I think they enjoyed the views from the Continental Divide. 

nn

                  Million-dollar homes and Aspens; Breckenridge

The historic mining town of Breckenridge has changed since our last visit. Main Street is no longer the main street into town and million-dollar vacation condos have sprung up on both sides of the Blue River. Laura (with a little help from Siri) discovered one of Breck’s new residents; Isak Heartstone is a large wooden troll created by Danish artist Thomas Dambo from recycled products, the most recent of 100 giants and trolls in 17 countries. Who woulda known?

nn

                 A Stroll Through Breck

bb

           A River Runs Through It—Blue River, Breckenridge

After a nice lunch and a walk around town we drove home the “back way” over Hoosier Pass through South Park with a stop on Kenosha Pass at the Colorado Trail. It was a perfect Colorado day yet it didn’t make up for all Greg and Laura’s kindness over the years—but it’s a start.

n

                         Free labor, Tim and Candice's Cabin

We had to work for our supper at Tim and Candice’s cottage in Allenspark on Friday. A freak May windstorm had uprooted several lodgepole pines, knocking down a fence and narrowly missing the cottage. The logs had been removed but the yard was littered with bark and branches. Candice supervised while Connie gathered branches and Tim and I repaired the fence. 

n

            View on Old Fall River Road, RMNP

n

                    Chasm Falls, Rocky Mountain National Park

nn

                View from Trail Ridge Road Visitor Center

As a reward, yesterday we drove up Old Fall River Road, the original route through Rocky Mountain National Park. We stopped along the way for scenic views, wildflowers, birds (of course) and critters—yellow-bellied marmot, chipmunks, snowshoe hare and elk. We eventually joined Trail Ridge Road, the highest continuous paved road in America, and turned back after hot chocolate at the Visitor Center. 

n

                  Broad-tailed Hummingbird, Allenspark

n

                       Yellow-bellied Marmot, RMNP

n

                 Our first Snowshoe Hare

n

       Shooting Stars and Indian Paintbrush, RMNP

When we got home and Connie checked her journals, we were shocked to learn we hadn’t been on Trail Ridge in 25 years! Where has the time gone?

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.