Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

A Day at the Museum—Teen Rex

USA | Saturday, 22 June 2024 | Views [131]

Story of Teen-Rex discovery (DMNS photo)

Story of Teen-Rex discovery (DMNS photo)

YOU DON’T HAVE TO TRAVEL TO HOLLYWOOD to see the World Premier of a film—you don’t even need to dress up! Yesterday we attended the World Premier of T.REX in 3-D right here at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science and not even the producer and director had seen the final cut in 3-D on the giant screen before.

nn

                "Mr. Bones" greets VIPs at Teen Rex premiere

nn

                     A nice reception

The showing coincided with the opening of “Teen-Rex,” an exhibit of the fossil of a juvenile Tyrannosaurus Rex discovered in the Hell Creek formation by three young kids. Caiden, Jessin and Liam, aka “The Brothers,” were on hand for the premier along with half the population of Marmarth, ND.

nn

                   "The Brothers" atop jacketed fossil ready for airlift (DMNS photo)

nn

       Up, up and away! (DMNS photo)

nn

                 Teen Rex passing Devil's Tower (DMNS photo)

We were at the dig site last July when the fossil remains were first unearthed after being buried for some 65 million years. It took a lot of work by the team to excavate and jacket the remains in plaster and helicopter them to a flatbed for transportation to Denver.

 

nn

                  Removing everything that isn't Teen Rex

nn

                      Cast of Teen Rex tooth

Now that the heavy lifting is finished the real work begins. First the remains were cat-scanned at the University of Texas for a layer-by-layer inspection. Back at DMNS it will take at least a year to prepare Teen Rex for exhibit. So far only a single tooth, actually a cast of the tooth, is on display but visitors can watch as the fossil is meticulously exposed. And, of course, see the 3-D version of T.REX.

nn

 

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.