Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Sittin' In The Railway Station

USA | Saturday, 3 August 2024 | Views [81]

"Sittin' in a Railway Station" Durham Museum, Omaha

THEY SIT FROZEN IN TIME, WAITING FOR A TRAIN that has left the station for the last time. A sailor and a soldier ready to ship out. A young girl waiting as Mom buys their tickets. A couple saying good-bye after a 3-day pass. The porter helping a family with their luggage. And the ubiquitous businessmen hustling to the next city. Welcome to Durham Museum’s Art-Deco splendor as Omaha’s Union Station in a time long gone.

n

   Durham Museum, formerly Union Station

m

                   Elegance in Art Deco

Yes, Omaha! Unless you are Warren Buffett I can think of only two reasons to spend a weekend in Nebraska—a family visit or engine trouble. In our case it was family. With a 3-night gap between Colorado AirBnBs we decided to visit Connie’s brother Ron and his wife near Omaha. 

n

          "Where ya staioned, Buddy?"

m

                "Weekend Pass"

b

        "Two tickets to Denver, please"

m

             "Let me get these for you, Mam"

nn

           "Another day on the Road"

We had been to Durham Museum years ago but I had forgotten the sense of nostalgia I felt for something I had never experienced. We were drawn back today for a look at National Geographic’s “Becoming Jane: The Evolution of Dr. Jane Goodall,” presented alongside a retrospective of Mutual of Omaha’s “Wild Kingdom.” Marlon Perkins may have piqued our interest in Nature but Dr. Jane injected Nature into our bloodstream. After having spent six months as volunteers for the Jane Goodall Institute in Uganda, Connie and I couldn’t resist seeing this traveling exhibit. Union Station was just the icing on the cake.

n

                 The Evolution of Dr. Jane Goodall

n

                  Dr. Jane, "Covergirl"

n

                   In person or Hologram, the message is just as important

After catching up with Ron at his rehab center, Bonnie took us to her brother Jim’s lakeside home where he and Ann grilled a couple of pounds of Omaha’s best steak with all the fixin’s, even freshly picked sweet corn. When we finished dinner Jim borrowed his friend’s “patio boat” and took us and Iggy, the schnauzer, on a sunset cruise around Beaver Lake. Perfect ending to a wonderful day.

nn

                   Jim and the Crew; Ann, Connie, Iggy and Bonnie

nn

             Iggy enjoys the ride

We hardly expect you to hop a train to Nebraska but if “Becoming Jane” makes it to your neck of the woods be sure to stop in.

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.