Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Goin' to Kansas City, Kansas City Here We Come

USA | Tuesday, 3 September 2024 | Views [68]

"Play Ball!" Negro Leagues Baseball Museum

CONSIDERING EVERYONE’S AGE, “Farewell Tour” seemed a bit too fatalistic. So “Grand Tour” it is—2½ months and a few thousand miles driving East then South to visit with friends and family. With the schedules of so many other folks to consider, it has already become a logistic nightmare. 

n

                     Dan and Nicole in the Heartland, Lawrence KS

Labor Day found us at the home of Connie’s old Air Force buddy, Dan and his partner, Nicole. Their neighborhood in Lawrence, KS looks like something from a 1950s TV show complete with maple trees, white picket fences and rockers on the porch. I wouldn’t be surprised to find them living between Nelsons and the Cleavers. 

n

                Idyllic campus, Univesity of Kansas

n

                     KU Jayhawk                   

nn

                         Kansas—Wind and Corn

Of course Dan and Connie took the obligatory stroll down Memory Lane, aided by some adult beverage. After checking into our hotel (thanks, Dan) we all took a walk around the KU campus where Dan attended law school. It’s everything I’ve ever imagined a college campus to be, complete with some comely Jayhawk coeds. I’m happy to report there is more to Kansas than corn. But, god, there is an awful lot of corn!

n

            Buck O'Neal, soul of the Negro League Baseball Museum

,

            Recently Recognized Negro Leagues Golden Glove Winners

n

                    Uniforms from some of the teams in some of the Negro Leagues

n

         Connie examines baseballs signed by Negro Leagues players

I still can’t figure out why Kansas City is in Missouri, not Kansas. Nevertheless, we crossed state lines and checked in at the Best Western at Kaufman Stadium where we had tickets for Tuesday night’s Royals/Guardians game. Like all REAL baseball fans we took time to re-visit the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum. It’s even better now that the MLB Hall of Fame has inducted Buck O’Neil; player, coach and driving force behind the Museum.

b

                 Night game at the "K"

n

                   Bobby Witt, Jr. gets another hit

We were able to walk to the “K” from our hotel and had great seats—upper level directly behind home plate—and a chance to see future Hall of Famer Bobby Witt, Jr. in action. Witt went 2-for-3 but first-place Cleveland hammered the home team Royals 7-1. What a shame.

 

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.