Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Durham—Second Chance for a First Impression

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 8 April 2023 | Views [93]

Weeping Willow and Durham Cathedral

Weeping Willow and Durham Cathedral

THIS IS OUR FIRST “OFFICIAL” VISIT TO DURHAM—our “drive-by” in 2011 hardly counts. I wrote nothing in my journal and can’t find a single photo, not even of Durham Cathedral. And as I remember, we were busy scooting between visits to friends, both old and new. Excuses aside, this time I think we will spend a while.

n     n

                   Eureka Mews, Chester-le-Street

Our AirBnBs just keep getting better and “Eureka Mews, Chester-le-Street” is certainly the cutest address—le-Street referring to the Roman road which ran through town and “Chester” from castra, Latin for “camp.” We have a choice of well-stocked supermarkets and are only a few miles from World Heritage city of Durham.

n

             Daffodils, River Wear and Durham Cathedral 

n

                Englishman out for a stroll

Riverside Walk, a three-mile circuit along the River Wear, is a great way to explore the area. Several bridges span the river in case the weather takes a change for the worse and there are plenty of pubs and restaurants along the way. Spring buds provided a hint of green to the trees but still allowed for good views of Durham Cathedral across the Wear. One magnificent Weeping Willow glowing in the intermittent sunshine kept popping into my photos.

bb

               Riverside Trail, Durham

n

                Connie at the Fuller's Mill

n

                                  Durham Rowing Club

The trail parallels the river passing historic churches and cemeteries, former mills and workers homes and the Durham Rowing Club before crossing the Wear on the medieval  Elvet Bridge to the peninsula of central Durham. From there it isn’t far up North Bailey Street to the cathedral.

n

         Up North Bailey Street to Durham Cathedral

           b

Cathedral Church of Christ, Blessed Mary the Virgin and St Cuthbert of Durham 

n

               Norman, not Roman, Arches

n

              Choir Seats, Durham Cathedral

Officially known as the Cathedral Church of Christ, Blessed Mary the Virgin and St Cuthbert of Durham, Durham Cathedral isn’t as impressive as its name implies—compared to Sagrada Familia and St. Peter’s it is plain boring. It is important because of who is buried inside. St. Cuthbert, Patron Saint of Northumberland, who is credited with spreading Christianity throughout northern England is also buried in Durham. In fact, Cuthbert’s remains weren’t buried in the church, the church was built around his remains after they were transferred from Lindesfarne!

n

            St. Cuthbert; at Peace, at Last

Saint Bede, the Venerable was a scholar, teacher and author best known for the Ecclesiastical History of the English People. “The Venerable Bede” is sometimes called the “Father of English History” and is responsible for dating events forward from the birth of Jesus—such-and-such year AD. For example, Bede died in 735 AD and his remains were moved to the Durham Cathedral in the 11th Century.

n

               Here lies the Venerable Bede, Durham Cathedral

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.