Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Riverside Museum and the National Gallery of Scotland

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 4 April 2023 | Views [92]

A brave new world, Riverside Museum

A brave new world, Riverside Museum

THE ARCHITECTURE OF GLASGOW'S RIVERSIDE MUSEUM on the banks of the River Clyde is as impressive as its collections. The contemporary design by architect Zaha Hadid stands in juxtaposition to the nostalgic transportation systems of Riverside’s collection. 

m

                   Zaha Hadid at Riverside 

n

                Trains, Planes, Automobiles...and More

b      b

   First set of Wheels                              The Final Voyage                             

From a kid’s first set of perambulator “wheels” to the horse-drawn hearse that carries her to the grave and all the trips between, nearly every form of transportation is on display along with cinemas, record shops, clothing stores of Glasgow in the past. 

b

               The Scissors that Launched 400 Ships

n

                When Steamships Ruled

Perhaps the most unique items was a pair of scissors used to cut the ribbon at the launch of 400 ships, including the Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth and QE 2. If only we had the Champagne!

b

             Skirling in a Kilt

n

                   National Gallery of Scotland

nn       nn

  Sculpture and Gainsborough                     Redhead

The skirl of bagpipes greeted us as we crossed Weaverley Bridge on our way to the National Gallery of Scotland. You might think we’d seen enough paintings but Connie thought it only fair we gave Scottish artists a fair shake.

n

                    Lesser works by Great Artists

b       n

              Degas                                            Reubens

As it turned out the National Gallery’s collection contains minor works by major artists and great pieces by painters less well known. Paintings by Reubens, Valázquez, Degas and others hung in one room while works of the “Glasgow Boys” like James Patterson, Thomas Guthrie and William McTaggert hung in others. 

b

                  Great paintings by lesser-known artists like William McTaggert 

n

            "Autumn in Glencairn" by James Patterson

n

                    "The Hind's Daughter" by Thomas Guthrie

To be honest, other than a study by Degas, I found many of the Scottish paintings a refreshing change of pace, reminiscent of John Constable and the Barbizon painters.

 

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.