Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

The Bum's Rush

MEXICO | Sunday, 8 August 2021 | Views [153]

Rated X—Ridley Green Sea Turtles mating

Rated X—Ridley Green Sea Turtles mating

SHADES OF OUR LAST DAYS IN NEW ZEALAND, Huatulco officials announced today that the beaches, restaurants and hotels would be forced to close on Monday due to Covid. Already Eric’s September group canceled and we can only hope that this trend doesn’t extend throughout Mexico.

b

         Santa Crucecita Sunrise

Fortunately we got our “mini-pelagic” trip in early. Hector met us at the marina in a 21-foot, center-console boat at 6AM, en punto. We wallowed out at sunrise to the edge of the Continental Shelf, seven miles from the marina, where the green inshore water meets the deep blue of the Humboldt Current. This is where today’s targets hang out feeding on the leftovers from marauding schools of bonita.

               Hector and our boat

Photographing bobbing sea birds from the pitching deck of a small boat is no easy task even at a mere four knots. Something is always out of focus when both the cameraman and the birds are moving in three directions. The photos here are the best of 500 shots on the water.

nn

                Wedge-Rumped Storm Petrel

Along the the way saw at least 20 Ridley Green Sea Turtles—several pairs which were mating—and four dead Ridleys, most likely victims of ingested bolsa plastica. And we can’t forget a ¡Muchas Gracias! to the genius who developed the scopolamine seasickness patch. A game-changer for certain.

n

         Brown Booby, Nasca Booby, Galapagos Shearwater, Red-necked Phalarope

While Connie and I enjoyed a bit of siesta back at the hotel, Eric was getting his long-awaited Covid vaccine. It’s a single-dose Chinese version and we all hope it works.

 

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.