Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Paraiso Jaguar Reserve—Nava's Wren

MEXICO | Tuesday, 10 August 2021 | Views [156]

Nava's Wren—this is what we came for, Jaguar Reserve

Nava's Wren—this is what we came for, Jaguar Reserve

WE HAD SOME “MOPPING UP” BIRDING-WISE to accomplish Monday morning before we had to get out of Dodge, aka Huatulco. It took a while due to my fogged up lens but we soon saw and photographed Doubleday’s Hummingbird and settled for the female Red-breasted Chat before heading back to check out Hotel Arco and fuel up with brunch.

n     n

   Doubleday's Hummingbird               Brunch before the drive

It took six hours to drive to Ecotouristico Paraiso Jaguar Reserva somewhere near the remote town of Matias Romero. Non-birders—civilians—might wonder why anyone in his right mind would travel so far to see a single bird, even one as rare as Nava’s Wren. Birders wouldn’t think twice and no one has ever accused us of sanity, especially when the accommodations were simple cabins with no hot water, internet or even cell service. But there is electricity and the beds are clean. Only one “restaurant” was open in the village and we settled for tiny tacos of beef and chorizo before heading off to catch some Z-Z-Zs.

u      n

  Us but no Jaguars                              Which side is John's?

It rained overnight as only it can in the rainforest but the morning dawned clear. We followed Renato up steep, slippery trails that kicked my butt for about a mile, never expecting to see a jaguar—Renato has seen them often—but we were always on the lookout for Nava’s Wren. I was about to throw in the towel when Eric was able to coax one within range. I managed to bang out a dozen decent photos before it vanished. 

n

            Eric and Renato listening for Nava's Wren

Later back at the trailhead we added photos of a Yellow-winged Tanager, White-Bellied Emerald, Azure-crowned Hummingbird, Green-breasted Mango and a pair of Olive-throated Parakeets making our trip seem less one-dimensional.

n

  Yellow-winged Tanager

                      n

                          Azure-crowned Hummingbird

                                         n

                                            Green-breasted Mango

                                                       m

                                                            White-bellied Emerald

Refreshed with a cold water shower and fueled by more tiny tacos, five hours more driving brought us to the crossroads city of Tehuantepec, the most convenient place to break-up a long trip in the state of Oaxaca.

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.