Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Blowin' In The Wind

MEXICO | Wednesday, 11 August 2021 | Views [177]

Wind Farm, Oaxaca

Wind Farm, Oaxaca

CHICAGO MAY BE THE “WINDY CITY” but it can’t hold a candle to the Isthmus of Oaxaca and its hundreds—if not thousands—of wind-turbines furiously spinning among the thorn scrub. The wind didn’t seem to bother the birds, though. In less than an hour this morning we added our target Cinnamon-tailed Sparrow, both Rose-bellied Buntings and Orange-breasted Buntings plus a Nutting’s Flycatcher before setting out on another long drive, leaving Oaxaca behind.

b

Cinnamon-tailed Sparrow           

                 b

                     Orange-breasted Bunting

                                       bb

                                           Rose-bellied Bunting

Chiapas is very green, the highways are smooth and the drive to Mapastepec seemed to go quickly. We dropped our luggage off at the San Carlos hotel and headed off the the nearby wetlands to look for Giant Wrens, Yellow-winged Caciques and White-bellied Chachalacas. 

v

                Giant Wren

The wrens were a snap to find—they are big and vocal and photograph well. White-bellied Chachies, although large, seem to disappear at will into the thick mango trees. We crept along slowly for miles and miles looking in vain until it was time for them to roost for the night. 

b

                   White-bellied Chachalaca

Eric is almost as stubborn as Connie and refused to quit looking for the caciques until it was dark. The caciques never showed but we got good looks at Roadside and Black-collared Hawks and a cute little Ruddy-breasted Seadeater. The roads on the way back were among the worst yet and we didn’t get to the San Carlos until after eight. Connie and I skipped dinner and crashed. Another l-o-n-g day logged in the book.

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.