Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Lunch With Don Alfredo

MEXICO | Saturday, 7 August 2021 | Views [184]

Chestnut-sided Hummingbird.Sierra del Sur

Chestnut-sided Hummingbird.Sierra del Sur

IT WAS CHILLY FRIDAY MORNING as we birded around the grounds of Puesta del Sol but we managed good looks at Rivoli’s Hummingbird, a Brown-backed Solitaire and a Hooded Yellowthroat before saddling up and heading downhill towards the Pacific.

mm

                Hooded Yellowthroat                                         Brown-backed Solitaire

We drew blanks at several stops along the way but were rewarded eventually with a great photo of a Mountain Trogon and a Crested Warbler. The bird of the day was the Chestnut-sided Hummingbird which even Eric was surprised to find in this locale.

nn

  Wagners Emerald Toucanet             Russet-crowned Motmot          Mountain Tanager

We settled in to the very upscale Misión del Arcos Hotel in Cruzita de Santa Cruz in Huatulco where we will spend three nights. There are several great restaurants within walking distance, an OXXO convenience store—think 7-11—around the corner and, best of all, a lavandaria nearby where we deposited four kilos of dirty clothes. 

nn

Long-billed Starthroat, Golden-crowned Emerald, Blue-capped and Garnet-throated Hummingbird

This morning was a reverse of Friday as we re-climbed yesterday’s route. We managed to see all of today’s target species and I got surprisingly good photos of several, including minuscule, hyper-active hummingbirds. 

n

                Red-Headed Tanager

Eric has a special permission to bird on Don Alfredo’s coffee finca, which is also habitat for Red-Headed Tanagers. We quickly found a pair building a nest and after observing—and photographing—them, joined the family for el almuerzo. Lunch consisted of Don Alfredo’s special blend of coffee, a hibiscus drink, chicken tamales, cheese quesadillas, skirt steak, tortillas with cheese and tomato sauce, black-beans, fried eggs—all cooked over a wood-fired oven by Doña Georgiana. 

nn

  Doña Georgiana cooks              Alfredo and Georgiana              Abuelo, Abuela y Nieta

Various members of the family—sons, daughters, grandkids, puppies, babies—drifted in as we ate and chatted in Spanish (poor in my case) and English (worse in their case) comparing ages, families and what-ever. Don Alfredo was particularly curious that we do not own a house, or a dog, and have traveled all over the world. He must think we are muy rico. In truth, we are, due to experiences like lunch today.

nn

                     Flamulated Flycatcher

Back in Huatulco we checked out the nearby national park looking for the Flamulated Flycatcher, which John renamed “Flatulated Flycatcher” and the Citreoline Trogon and were successful with both. After such a huge lunch, Connie skipped dinner entirely to work on the photos and I had lentil soup and salad. We wouldn’t want full bellies for tomorrow’s pelagic adventure, would we?

m

                    Citreoline Trogon

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.