Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

The Enchanted Rabbit

MEXICO | Thursday, 5 August 2021 | Views [151]

Room with a View, Cabinas Puesto del Sol, San Jose Pacifico

Room with a View, Cabinas Puesto del Sol, San Jose Pacifico

HEAVY THUNDERSTORMS OVERNIGHT TRANSITIONED to steady rain on Wednesday morning and we didn’t go out until 7:30. Two full hours and several stops towards the Continental Divide netted only an Emerald-chinned Hummingbird, Black-faced Grosbeak and a Green Shrike Vireo. 

mm

    Emerald-chinned Hummingbird                                       Black-faced Grosbeak

We stopped for a late lunch at a place that advertised trout. For some reason they decided that the foot-long fish weren’t large enough to serve. Connie found her whole deep-fried tilapia a bit off-putting so she traded for my fillet in chipolte sauce. 

mm

                                                             Before and After

We arrived back in Oaxaca in time to go to FedEx. We came up with a plan to send a check for the balance of the trip to our friend Lynn in Colorado who is experienced at sending wire transfers. She will cash the check than wire the money to Eric’s bank in Oaxaca. None of this would be necessary if our banker in Colorado hadn’t fouled-up our attempt to wire money.  After a final night in Oaxaca we are westward bound, up and over the Sierra del Sur mountains and into a new ecosystem with several new species. I for one was glad that Eric was driving—countless switchback turns and a rutted, muddy section of construction that had us remembering the “Train That Could.”

    b  

                      Striped Sparrow

Our first stop was at a field of “bunch grass” at 7000 feet elevation where Eric believed the Striped Sparrow to be. Not only did we see several sparrows but also a dozen Mexican Violetear and a lone Black-Headed Siskin, all “Lifers” for Connie.

bb

                             Mexican Violetear

We had an early lunch at the wonderful El Conejo Encantado, the Enchanted Rabbit. Not only was the food excellent, I watched corn tortillas being made in the traditional manner, the same tortillas that became our quesadillas stuffed with pumpkin blossoms and queso.

b

       Lunch and Old School Tortillas at the Enchanted Rabbit, El Conejo Encantado

The weather for the rest of the drive went from bad to terrible as we descended one range and climbed another, eventually arriving at the most charming place yet. Puesta del Sol is set on a hillside at 9000 feet in San Jose del Pacifico. A winding pathway leads down the steep hillside to the cabinas. Ours was the bottom-most requiring a taxing climb to the restaurant.  There was no sunset today but the effort was balance by a wonderful view that, especially in this stormy weather, could have been in the Cascades. 

n

                          Las Cabinas Puesto del Sol

Did I mention the weather? It certainly felt colder than 50° F, especially with our already damp clothes, so it was a pleasant surprise when a knock on the door brought Sr. Fuego, as I called him, with an armload of firewood and a bundle of kindling. We soon had a roaring fire in the small fireplace and climbed into bed nice and toasty. By midnight, though, the fire was a mere glow and my tootsies were cold.

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.