Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Stormy Weather

USA | Wednesday, 11 November 2020 | Views [309]

Wind in the Palms

Wind in the Palms

WE THOUGHT WE WERE FINISHED WITH HURRICANE SEASON.  But this IS 2020 when even the improbable becomes likely.  Last year it was typhoons, the Pacific Ocean’s version hurricanes.  We managed to avoid the worst of Typhoons Krosa, Faxi, Tapah and Mitag while we were on route to or on land in Japan.  

 

                                      b

                                       Intrepid souls going to the Beach

                                                              bb

                                                                      Marina Overflow

So far this year the Atlantic has spawned 25 “named” storms including 9 hurricanes.  Actually, only 21 of the storms had “names,” other four were identified with Greek letters, like something from Fraternity Row.  And the most recent, Eta, continues to vacillate from hurricane to tropical storm and back again as it meanders around the Gulf.  It is 2020, after all.

            We hope they come back

Heavy rains didn’t stop Connie’s morning walk but they did confine her to the covered parking area under our building.  Even that is in jeopardy now.  The water level in the marina where we’ve been watching manatees, is now over the retaining wall and docks.  We haven’t seen the sea cows in a few days and we hope they haven’t deserted us.

bb

            High Tide and Storm Surge

Waves at high tide were breaking where I stood fishing only a few days ago.  Water is flowing over the berm and the trail is now a rushing stream.  The lagoon where the shore birds hang out is now part of the Gulf, at least until the tide turns.

bb

               Where once I fished

On the plus side, the storm forced "current" VP Pence to cancel his vacation trip to Sanibel Island.  Maybe he will stay in DC and take care of business.

 

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.