Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Something To Think About

USA | Saturday, 18 July 2020 | Views [249]

The 40s: The Story of a Decade

The 40s: The Story of a Decade

AMONG THE THINGS I AM CURRENTLY reading is The 40s: The Story of a Decade, a selection of articles from New Yorker Magazine.  Granted, most articles pre-date my existence (I am looking forward to reading The 60s volume) but the authors, their style and their wisdom is timeless.  Take, for instance, some of E. B. White’s replies to “The Meaning of Democracy.”  You may know him best for Stuart Little and Charlotte’s Web but he is much more.

Democracy, White writes, “is the line that forms on the right.  It is the don’t in don’t shove.  It is the hole in the stuffed shirt through which the sawdust slowly trickles.  It is the dent in the high hat.  Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.  It is the feeling of privacy in the voting booths. . . . Democracy is a letter to the editor.  Democracy is the score at the beginning of the ninth.  It is an idea which hasn’t been disproved yet, a song the words of which have not gone bad.  It is the mustard on the hot dog.”

Something to think about.

 

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.