Existing Member?

Paul & Luiza´s World Tour

Cappadocia - A Goat's Life

TURKEY | Tuesday, 10 August 2010 | Views [764]

Yeah, if I've ever felt like a goat, it's been here. Up and down rocks all day long. We got here at 8am and most of the places were full. We found a good enough hotel, Dora Motel, and set up camp. Ok, again, August is hot and busy but you can always find a place without booking. We chilled for a bit and then went for a walk around Goreme, nice and rocky but great views.

Anyway, it's really dry and rocky, lots of big rocks with holes in them... yeah, it's a rock with a hole in it, get over it! We just suppose it's not our kinda place, full of backpackers thinking "i'm so special, the first one to do it,..." sorry guys, there are so many tourists here, just take a look around! the locals are even a bit jaded..., so again, get over it, nothing special about you guys, OK?

Having said that, we did see lots of nice and interesting places (rocks anyone?). Most people do the balloon tours but we thought it was way overpriced (120 euros pp for 1 hour?) and a bit overrated.

The Goreme Air Open Museum was amazing, still on the rocks, but really great, we visited the churches of the first Christian apostles hiding out in said rock caves. When we were leaving the museum, we met Salim, an older guy who offered to take us on a "private tour". THAT was amazing. He took us to see an old monastery and climb yet new rocks with holes, but with a whole new perspective and with much less tourists around. He took us to the Uchisar Castle, the Devrent Valley, the Fairy Valley and the Rose Valley etc Check out the photos and you can see what we are talking about. The highlight? St John the Baptist Church and the best, coldest OJ I've ever had in my whole wonderful life!

Tags: sightseeing

 

About pauluiza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.