Existing Member?

Paul & Luiza´s World Tour

Turkey - Istanbul

TURKEY | Tuesday, 3 August 2010 | Views [1301]

Dinner in Istanbul

Dinner in Istanbul

Istanbul is an amazing place, we just loved it and I particularly didn't want to leave. That said, the heat and humidity in August really get to you and sometimes you need to rush to the air-con in your room. Anyway, we stayed at the Hotel California, very nice budget place, in Sultanahmet (old city), the best place for tourists, and enjoyed our 7 days in the most awesome place.

We visited the Blue Mosque, so beautiful and peaceful, the New Mosque, The Hippodrome (ancient chariot racing arena), the Spice Market (the wonderful smells...), Grand Bazaar - over 4000 shops if you are serious about your shopping, the Basilica Cistern, the Archaelogical Museum (at least 1 afternoon), Hagia Sophia (a magic place, used to be a church, and then a mosque and now is a museum, fantastic building), did a Bosphorus Cruise (Asia on one side and Europe on the other), tired already?

But wait!! there's more... the Topkapi Palace is fantastic, not cheap but worth it to see Moses's walking stick, Joseph's turban, and last but not least, the Prophet's beard! We also went to Pera (the other side - reserve at least one afternoon) & Taksim Square, where the Syrian Embassy basically told us to fuck off, no visa for you! By the way, the Iranian embassy also told us to fuck off, no visa, but at least it was in a closer neighbourhood :-)

Finally, last day, we checked out and walked around, saw the Whirling Dervish dance and went to the movies to see Salt, not too bad. We took the overnight bus to Cappadocia, so next stop.


Funny moment - in restaurant, asked waiter for a light for our cigarette and he took one from us, disappeared and two minutes later came back with it lit!!! icckkkk!!! 

Tags: sightseeing

 

About pauluiza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.