Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Autumn in Vermont

USA | Thursday, 19 September 2024 | Views [49]

Autumn Colors, Stratton VT

Autumn Colors, Stratton VT

A GLANCE BACK AT OUR JOURNALS CONFIRMED IT—it’s been twenty-one years to the day since last we were in Southern Vermont. A lot has changed since then and much of what hasn’t isn’t quite like I remember it!

nn

                  Check your fly, AMFF Manchester VT

n

                             The Art of Fly Fishing

mm

                       Painting by "Ding" Darling

Connie was introduced to a new class of obsession at the American Museum of Fly Fishing in Manchester. When not spending fortunes matching wits with the pea-sized brain of a trout, fly fishermen and women spend countless hours tying colorful “flies” that represent all manner of insects, fish, worms and crustaceans, many of which qualify as works of art. And there is an entire section of paintings dealing with fishing, one of which was painted by cartoonist and conservationist “Ding” Darling for whom the birding hotspot on Sanibel Island is named.

n

                      Southern Vermont Art Center, Manchester VT

nn

                          A Horse of a Different Color, Southern Vermont Art Center

n

                     Scultpure, Southern Vermont Art Center

The Southern Vermont Art Center was more to her liking. Although the admission price kept us from entering the inside galleries, we spent an hour exploring the exhibits around the grounds much like we saw at Louisiana Museum of Modern Art in Denmark.                       

n

                       Traditional Saltbox house

n

                Church in Chester VT

m

                 Counyty Inn, Chester VT

n

                    Cornish-Windsor Bridge, 160 feet long, from Vermont side

n

                        Dartmouth College, Hanover NH

Our quest for the most colorful leaves in New England took us through the charming town of Chester where we stopped for some photos. By and by we crossed the Connecticut River into New Hampshire on the Cornish-Windsor Bridge, the longest wooden covered bridge in the US. We stopped in Hanover, home to Dartmouth College, for a comparison to equally pricey Vassar. Not only were the students smiling, a grad student at the library suggested we drive a bit farther to visit the Lower Shaker Village in Enfield.

n

              Lower Shaker Village, Enfield NH

bb

                      Shaker Village,  Enfield NH

nn

                 Table for Twenty, Enfield Shaker Village

n

                         Shaker chairs in meeting hall, Enfield Shaker Village

In case you are a little fuzzy on who the Shakers were—“were” being the operative word since there are only 2 living members left— they, like Quakers, were pacifists who took their beliefs to a new level. They didn’t believe in private property and shared everything. OK so far. They were also celibate and didn’t believe in procreation. They had to adopt or recruit new members, hence the dwindling membership. Utopian they may have been but it isn’t a live I would choose. Even their famous Shaker chairs are straight backed and uncomfortable.

n

                Battle Monument, Bennington VT

n

                  Self-portrait and Photo, Grandma Moses—Bennington Museum

n

                     "Halloween" by Grandma Moses—Bennington Museum

n

                  Old First Church, Bennington

n

                             "In a Disused Graveyard" Bennington VT

The Battle Monument may be the most visible point in Bennington but it’s far from the most interesting. That would be the Bennington Museum, especially the gallery devoted to Anna Mary Robertson, better known as Grandma Moses. Her art isn’t up to our usual standards but it’s not half bad when you consider she didn’t start painting until she was 78 years old! Not one to be outdone, after many miles Poet Robert Frost lies sleeping eternally in the disused cemetery of the Old First Church.

n

                        Henry Bridge, Bennington VT

n

                          Papermill Bridge, Bennington VT

n

                             Silk Road Bridge, Bennington VT

m

                                Park-McCullough Estate, Bennington VT

Bennington is also home to three of Vermont’s 104 covered bridges loopty-looing across the Walloomsac River. Perhaps not as famous as Meryl and Clint’s bridges in Madison County, they are definitely more scenic. Our final stop was the fantastic Park-McCullough Estate. Built in 1865 it has 35 rooms and sits on 200 acres and was once the governor’s mansion.

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.