Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

The Three Sisters

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 3 March 2024 | Views [73]

The Three Sisters, Blue Mountains National Park, Katoomba

The Three Sisters, Blue Mountains National Park, Katoomba

IT WAS NICE TO SLEEP IN A BED that wasn’t rocking after nearly three weeks afloat. Chiltern, our final AirBnB in Australia, is a charming cottage surrounded by lush gardens in the beautiful Blue Mountains of New South Wales. It’s spacious and a little bit funky with both A/C and a fireplace, good WiFi and Netflix and is only 20 km from Katoomba at the heart of Blue Mountains National Park.

n

                  AirBnB "Chiltern," Hazelbrook in the Blue Mountains

b

                      Award-winning Garden

nn

              "Giverney" in the Blue Mountains

At least two conflicting Aboriginal legends explain the Three Sisters’ origin. Each ends with a shaman turning Meenhi, Wimlah and Gunnedoo into stone. We had to imagine the “Three Sisters” when we visited in 2004. At 3000 feet where the weather can be fickle, thick fog blanketed the valley and rain obscured the famous rock formation. It was a much nicer experience on Sunday morning.

nn

                   Blue Mountains National Park from Echo Point

 nn

            Morning Fog, Blue Mountains NP

The sun was breaking through the clouds and burning off the fog which still covered much of the valley. The views from Echo Point were both amazing and vertigo inducing and I’m sure many people are thankful for the strong safety railings. We took the obligatory photos of da Sistahs and eventually we found our way to Cliff Walk Trail where—you guessed it—a rare bird had been reported. 

n

            Lewin's Honeyeater

nn

                 Satin Bowerbird

 b

               Superb Lyrebird Trailside Sculpture

m

          Ain't Nothin' like the Real Thing—Our first Superb Lyrebird of the trip

Rock Warblers are found only in this area at this elevation on this kind of rock. Well, we didn’t see them but we did see a Satin Bowerbird, a Lewin’s Honeyeater and our first Lyrebird of the trip before the joggers, hikers and Sunday day-trippers crowded the trail. In, I imagine, a moment of whimsy the Park has installed some wonderful sculptures along the trail—in case you don’t get to see the real thing. Perhaps Rock Warblers, like the Three Sisters are only a legend.

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.