Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Rock Warbler—Mission Accomplished!

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 7 March 2024 | Views [68]

Elusive Rock Warbler, Cliff Walk Trail

Elusive Rock Warbler, Cliff Walk Trail

AS WE CONTINUED OUR SEARCH for the elusive Rock Warbler on Wednesday, we were side-tracked not by the Three Sisters but by three Superb Lyrebirds scratching and pecking in the leaf litter along Cliff Walk Trail. We watched until an irate Kookaburra strafed and dive-bombed the trio, chasing two lyrebirds into the bush while the third hopped onto a branch. 

v

              Out on a limb—Superb Lyrebird

v

                       White-Browed Scrubwren

nn

                 Eastern Yellow Robin

n

                  Up close and personal, Sulfur-Crested Cockatoo

We continued on about a mile along the cliff and saw three more Lyrebirds, dozens of Sulfur-Crested Cockatoos, a couple of Yellow Robins and a White-Browed Scrubwren. But no Rock Warblers. We—Connie, actually—did hear several skulking in the undergrowth along the cliff face but never got a look.   

b

                      Eastern Spinebill

nn

                      Worth the Effort—Rock Warbler

Today would be our last chance—we return to Sydney tomorrow and leave for Vietnam on Saturday—se made a beeline for the place where Connie had heard the warbler. We ignored a lyrebird, stopping only for photos of an Eastern Spinebill. We found our quarry hopping in the bushes near Tallawalla Lookout and were finally rewarded with these photos when the Rock Warbler emerged along side the trail. Mission accomplished!

nn

                      My photo of Superb Lyrebird courtship

The “albino” lyrebird that the woman told us she saw just up the trail turned out to be a normal-colored Superb Lyrebird in a courtship display on his lek mound among the ferns. Lyrebirds can flawlessly imitate the sounds other birds and mammals that share ithe rainforest habitat—even chainsaws and car alarms—so they have a huge array of sounds to integrate into their love songs. 

n

                  More complete view (internet photo)

nn

                    What we couldn't see (Internet Photo)

We followed his mating aria to the lek but could see only parts of his white courtship feathers—we had to download photos from the internet to understand what we were actually seeing. Luckily for Lyrebirds, the use of exotic plumage for clothing was banned in England in 1921, years before the lyrebird’s courtship ritual was reported.

bb

               Blue Mountains National Park from Wentworth Falls overlook

nn

         Wentworth Falls, just a trickle today

nn

                    How the Chamber of Commerce pictures Wentworth Falls (internet photo)

The sign to the village reads “Wentworth Falls, Where Darwin Walked” but the trail where Chuck allegedly strolled on his 1836 visit to Oz is currently closed due to water damage. Cliff Walk trail continues another 12 KM to Wentworth Falls—we drove instead then took a short, steep hike to one of the overlooks for the actual Wentworth Falls on our way back to Chiltern. The Blue Mountains were spectacular but the waterfall wasn’t much to see this morning. Following our late afternoon thunderstorms Wentworth Falls probably looked more like this Chamber of Commerce photo from the internet.

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.