Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Great Ocean Road—The Twelve Apostles

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 12 December 2023 | Views [100]

Twelve Apostles—Great Ocean Road, Port Campbell National Park

Twelve Apostles—Great Ocean Road, Port Campbell National Park

THE GREAT OCEAN ROAD, A “MUST-DO” AUSTRALIAN roadtrip is considered to be one of the most spectacular driving routes in the world. It runs almost 250 kilometers westward from Torquay to Allansford, ten minutes from our AirBnB in Warrnambool. The drive sometimes hugs the coast, sometimes meanders through dense rainforest and pretty little towns.

n

         A battle between the Sea and Cliffs

Cliffside viewpoints abound, often obscured by the morning sea mist but most folks head directly for the Twelve Apostles. Originally called “Sow and Piglets,” these limestone stacks have been waging a battle against the unrelenting waves for millions of years. There were never twelve stacks even when they received their name—poetic license, you know—and there were only nine in 2004 when we first saw them. A year later one of the stacks—Judas perhaps?—crumbled without warning leaving the eight we saw yesterday. It's beginning to sound like an Agatha Christie book title. Can the Seven Dwarfs be next?

bb

        12 Apostles 2023

n

        12 Apostles, 2004

nn

                  12 Apostles 2023

n

                  12 Apostles 2004

n

                   And then there were Eight

The Twelve Apostles haven’t been the only victims of time and tide. In the 90s the rock linking the mainland to the formation known as London Bridge fulfilled the children’s song prophecy and came tumbling down. 

mm

                        Island Archway aka Tom and Eva

In 2009 the arch for which Island Archway got its name crashed into the sea leaving two formations. Since it was near where the Loch Ard shipwreck occurred,  the rocks are sometimes called “Tom and Eva” in homage to the only two survivors.

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.