Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Birding Along the Great Ocean Road

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 16 December 2023 | Views [89]

Beautiful Firetail, Port Campbell National Park

Beautiful Firetail, Port Campbell National Park

WE RETURNED TO THE PORT CAMPBELL area on Wednesday in search of some of the local birds. It took a bit of help from Mark, a ranger at Port Campbell National Park, but we were able to locate a gorgeous Beautiful Firetail along an obscure dirt track. Later on, near Loch Ard Gorge, site of the infamous 19th Century shipwreck we stumbled (almost literally) on this Echidna, aka Spiny Anteater. Like the platypus, echidnas are egg-laying mammals.

nn

             Birding in the sea mist, Port Campbell

n

                    Echidna, one of Australia's strange animals

We decided to drive the entire GOR on Friday on our way to our newest lodging in Melbourne even though it added two hours to the trip. We were famished by the time we reached Angelsea and stopped for fish and chips. Who knew that “flake” is actually a kind of shark! It was tasty, portions were huge and the chips were fantastic. 

n

           Fish and Chips, Aussie-style

nn

             Airey Point Lighthouse, near the end of the GOR

While we were there we revisited the Airey Point Lighthouse and scoped out Coogoorah Park where Blue-winged Parrots have recently been reported. It is a great little park, a maze of lagoons and wandering trails. No parrots today but I got this shot of a Superb Fairywren, one of my favorite photos of the trip.

nn

                     Superb Fairywren Singing for Joy 

mm

                      Blue-Winged Parrot, Angelsea

Coogoorah Park is only an hour from our AirBnB in Footscray so we returned on Saturday morning hoping to see the Blue-Winged Parrots. After two chilly hours we came up empty. As we approached the parking lot ready to leave, John spotted a Parrot on the grass, then a second one appeared. Connie got a good look and we took some passable photos before they flew away. Blue-Winged Parrots will be our last Australia bird until after the holidays.

 

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.