Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Happy New Year, Toledo!

SPAIN | Sunday, 1 January 2023 | Views [124]

Along the Tagus on New Year's Day

Along the Tagus on New Year's Day

JUST LIKE CHRISTMAS EVE IN MADRID, many of Toledo’s attractions closed at 1PM on the 31st and will remain closed on New Years Day. We managed visit the Church of El Salvador before closing time. El Salvador has been in turn, Roman, perhaps a bath, a Visigoth church, a Muslim mosque and a Catholic church. Examples of each era layered like a wedding cake—the Roman bath beneath the Visigoth church and the Catholic bell tower atop the Muslim minaret. The highlight of El Salvador is the Visigoth pillar carved with scenes of Christ’s miracles.

b

    Minaret cum Bell Tower, Church of El Salvador

n

   First there were Romans. Then came the Visigoths.

n

           Visigoth Pillar from 500AD, Church of El Salvador

We just missed getting into the Synagogue of Santa Maria la Blanca. We visited it last time we were in Toledo but who wouldn’t want another look at the Jewish synagogue built by Muslims and converted into a Catholic church? 

b

             Only the sign today, Synagogue of Santa Maria la Blanca

We also had to settle for exterior views of the Gothic Cathedral of Toledo. It, too, was closing early. Besides the €10 entry fee seemed outrageous—I wonder how many who attend mass put ten euros in the collection plate!

n

                Toledo Cathedral on New Year's Eve Day

n

            Alcantaria Bridge and Alcazar

We had no grand illusions of staying up ‘till midnight—seldom do! Just a quiet dinner at “home,” a glass of local wine and the traditional dozen grapes for desert. We heard the popping of midnight fireworks but didn’t bother to get up—all of our windows look into the courtyard. Today felt more like spring than a winter day as we walked on the trail along the Tagus River. It was a nice way to ease into 2023!

 

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.