Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Rite of Spring

USA | Saturday, 20 March 2021 | Views [362]

Angry Surf, Empty Beach

Angry Surf, Empty Beach

WE HADN’T CONSIDERED THAT Panama City Beach calls itself the “Spring Break Capital Of The World” when we booked our condo. Apparently Governor DeSantis’s lackadaisical approach to Covid was seen as a “come-on down, y’all” message by the college crowd who should, BTW, know better even if the Gov doesn’t.

nn

        The Once and Future Spring Break

The official spring break area is a few miles up the beach—and half a century removed—from us. The weather has turned against the Chamber of Commerce the last couple of days—cold and windy with rough surf—helping to keep the revelry under control. Even so, we've noticed a big increase in the number of sirens screaming by, nothing like what's happening on in Miami, but there is definitely something broke this spring break.

n

       Only the hardy

Today’s Rites of Spring include guzzling Corona and ignoring Covid-19. In the spring of 1969, while some of you were smoking pot and fretting their 2-S deferments, I was drinking warm Vietnamese Ba Muoi Ba (33) beer and cleaning my M16. 

nn

       Spring 1969—South China Sea, Vietnam

A chacun son gout. Or as Dylan sang, “the times they are a-changin.”

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.