Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Socially Distant in Colorado

USA | Friday, 3 April 2020 | Views [302]

Staying at home, Uptown Suites

Staying at home, Uptown Suites

WE SKATED THROUGH IMMIGRATION AND CUSTOMS at Honolulu’s Daniel Inouye International Airport thanks to our empty flight and the Covid-19 cancellations.  The only place we could find to wait that had seating, air-conditioning and an electrical outlet was baggage claim on the lower level but the air-con was set to “arctic.”  And the only place open for food was Starbucks, an expensive re-introduction to America.   

nn

    A cold welcome, Daniel Inouye Int'l Airport baggage claim

Baggage from the only two flights arrived in the nine hours we waited consisted mainly of military duffle bags.  Hawaii’s stay-at-home policy seems to be having the desired effect.  When we were finally allowed to check our bags at six o’clock, we passed through security and found an open Burger King in the gate area.  This would be our last meal until Colorado.  United recently stopped serving food — even in First Class — for the duration. 

nn

         No incoming flights either, Daniel Inouye Int'l Airport

It took us 40 hours to go from Christchurch to Denver.  Colorado, a place we once called home, feels more foreign than ever.  First of all, there is driving on the right — it just feels odd after five months of driving on “the wrong side” and the wipers and turn signals on our rental car appear to be reversed.  Instead of living in the RV as we did on our last four visits, we are confined to an “extended-stay” hotel.  

n

        Colorado has plenty of room to roam

As a couple Connie and I are naturally socially distant.  We avoid group activities, even on cruise ships and we keep to ourselves on birding trips.  We actually enjoy each others company so the coronavirus restrictions aren’t much of an inconvenience,  especially in Colorado with so many parks and trails where you can be alone.  We must shop for food, of course, and we made a visit to the Post Office to renew our passports.  Even with additional pages added, all of the pages were filled up in only seven years!

bb

              Not your typical internment camp

Uptown Suites in the Tech Center is home for now.  Our “suite” has a full-size fridge, microwave and stovetop and has plenty of storage.  Surprisingly, there are no pots and pans or kitchenware.  So we made a special trip to our storage unit to retrieve the stuff we last used in the RV which Connie wisely insisted on keeping.  We are nested here for now while John searches for AirB&B options.

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.