Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

The Banks Peninsula

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 11 March 2020 | Views [323]

Banks Peninsula

Banks Peninsula

AKAROA ON THE BANKS PENINSULA IS FULL OF SURPRISES.  There seems to be a new cove or bay with spectacular views around every hill, not surprising since the peninsula was formed by not one, but two volcanoes.  Akaroa means “long harbor” in Maori but many of its streets have French names.  Rue Jolie and Rue Lavaud date from 1838 when Jean Langlois, a French whaler, was so enamored with the area that he purchased it from the Maori.  

nn   

      Viva la France

                        nn

                                Fenetre Français

                                                   bb

                                                          Trés charmand

The biggest surprise was that our cottage had been double-booked, surprising for us and the French couple who were in residence.  This was the fault of the owner, not booking com but we still had to find alternate lodging for the night.  We ended up at French Farm across the harbor, a charming place that had been my alternate choice all along.

bb

             French Farm, a lifesaver

We had stayed aboard when Noordam anchored here exactly a month ago, as all cruise ships bound for Christchurch have since the February 2011 earthquake.  Most passengers take the two-hour bus trip to Christchurch while the rest cram into town.  We joined those from the Carnival on this cold rainy day, hanging at the library and feasting on the best fish and chips we’ve had in a long time.

bb

             The Giant's House

The big attraction in town is the Giant’s House, a whimsical creation of sculptor Josie Martin.  Sculpture and ceramics mix with plants and stairways flowing down the hillside like a dream by Lewis Carroll.  Tough to describe but wonderful to photograph.

 

bb

   Musical...

                        bb

                                  Whimsical...

                                                     bb

                                                                Charming...

The weather never really warmed up nor did the sun shine as brightly as the Chamber of Commerce would have preferred but we were warm and cozy when it was finally our turn to move into the Hideaway.

bb

                 Hideaway, worth waiting for

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.