Existing Member?

Paul & Luiza´s World Tour

Singapore pitstop & cruising around Indonesia – Legen- (wait for it) -dary!!!

SINGAPORE | Friday, 13 January 2012 | Views [795]

Cruise Singapore to Bali & Lombok

Cruise Singapore to Bali & Lombok

Destination – Singapore & cruising around Indonesia – Legen-(wait for it)-dary!!!

We fly Jetstar from Manila to Singapore, from Changi Airport we make it all the way to the hotel, the Eco Inn, in Chinatown, by metro. Singapore continues be to the most tourist-friendly place ever.  The hotel is pretty doable for one night and the location is perfect.  We find ourselves in the heart of Chinatown, right in the middle of the Chinese New Year celebrations.  Another amazing festival and here we are again, without even having planned it, awesome.  The place is buzzing, so vibrant and pumping, great food everywhere and lots of people shopping and getting ready to celebrate the New Year, Chinese style.  Some people think Singapore is boring, I’m definitely not one of them.  I’m all for clean, organized, humane and yet fun.  Hey, I’m not talking politics here, just admiring a place in Southeast Asia, concerned with the wellbeing of its citizens. Anyway, we check out the shops, eat some really amazing street food and just walk around, soaking up the vibe, “Gong Xi Fa Cai”!

Next morning, after walking around Chinatown a bit more and buying some cute Chinese New Year souvenirs, it’s time to get going.  We walk from the hotel to the metro station and again it takes us all the way to the port, amazing how everything is mapped out just for your convenience.  Respect Singapore!!  So it’s time to board our cruise ship, “Legend of the Seas” for an 8 day cruise around Indonesia.  This is our second cruise and if you haven’t been on a cruise before, it’s pretty much like a floating 4-5 star hotel.  They provide you with a lot of ballroom dancing and buffet food.  If you stay away from both, it can be lots of fun.  We’ve been to Indonesia many times and we quite like the place. Instead of doing the whole Singapore-Indonesia-Singapore (8 days) route, we arrange with the company, Royal Caribbean, to do just 6 days and to get off at Lombok and spend some time in Lombok (and Bali, yeah, we know, right?)  We get a bit disappointed as the cruise is not going to stop at Borobudur, some are saying the waters are a bit shallow in that part, not sure.  Safety suddenly became a major issue as an enormous cruise ship, the Costa Concordia, just ran aground in Italy right in the middle of our cruise trip.  It’s become all very sensitive and a bit tense on board as we all watch the rescue operations on TV.

Anyway, the rest of the cruise however is fantastic, the usual indoor and outdoor pools and spas, theatre, cinema, casino, a nice restaurant, library, spa, gym, cooking and dance classes, lots of bars and above all, amazing food and a chilled crowd, mostly Aussies and Singaporeans.  The crew is always a great bunch of fun young people recruited from all over the world.  It’s always worth it to get to know some of them. Again, we feel pretty young as most of our fellow travellers are giving their senior’s discount cards a workout.   So, we just cruise along chilling and thoroughly enjoying being “off the road” for a few days.  It feels like sheer luxury.  We eat really (and a bit too) well, make new friends, use the modern gym facilities on board and constantly play “lazy lizard reading in the sun”, one of our favourite games.

 

About pauluiza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.