Existing Member?

Paul & Luiza´s World Tour

Philippines - Cebu and Manila Part II - Shopping madness

PHILIPPINES | Thursday, 5 January 2012 | Views [878]

Manila Cathedral - amazing story, rebuilt 8 times due to being destroyed by earthquake 7 times, burnt down once, destroyed in WWII, and numerous other times by tyohoons etc

Manila Cathedral - amazing story, rebuilt 8 times due to being destroyed by earthquake 7 times, burnt down once, destroyed in WWII, and numerous other times by tyohoons etc

Destination – Philippines – Manila – Part II – Shopping madness!

We decide to leave Bohol a day early as our ferry to Manila leaves early next morning. We take a tricycle, a ferry and a taxi and overnight on Cebu, at the Cebu Century Hotel, very basic but clean. Good enough for one night and very close to the pier. As we are here, we go and check out the oldest church in the Philippines then off to lunch at Chowking to curb our “siomao” (dumpling) addiction. Next morning, Super Ferry back to Manila. We get a big and bright cabin for 4 with private bathroom for only the two of us, what luxury! The trip back is absolutely amazing, so quiet, great weather and tons of 2 minute noodles.  Arriving in Manila the next morning, we check in to the Eurotel, small room, crappy buffet breakfast and unfriendly front desk staff.  But it is near our friends’ place and in the evening we catch up with them over a lovely chicken curry and red wine evening.  The next day we hit the Mall of Asia.  The biggest mall in the world, the second biggest, one of the biggest, who cares, it’s massive and so are the after-Christmas sales! We also do a bit of sightseeing, Intramuros and around Manila and we find out how many times heritage attractions in this country have had to be rebuilt over and over again, braving wars and the elements. Resilience, respect!

Obviously, we change hotels and move to the “Las Palmas” in Malate.  It is really nice and the area is more tourist friendly, with lots of shopping centres, restaurants and of course tourists around. And shopping we go as we again find ourselves in “killing time mode”, 5 more days to go until our flight to Singapore. We go out with our friends for dinner and then a few beers at a local traditional bar, frequented by both locals and tourists alike.  It’s a fun night however the always present prostitution of young women and the extreme poverty of the street people cast a sad shadow over the night though. Anyway, it’s time to leave the Philippines, the country that is certainly so beautiful and diverse.  A country that has been so kind to us and yet can be so unkind to its own friendly and warm people.   Lets just hope those in charge spend their time and resources restoring more than just churches.   Anyway, time to say goodbye!

 

About pauluiza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.