Existing Member?

Paul & Luiza´s World Tour

Thailand - Part II - Chiang Mai (elephants, hilltribes) and Bangkok

THAILAND | Friday, 23 September 2011 | Views [753]

Chiang Mai wats

Chiang Mai wats

Destination – Thailand – Part II - Chiang Mai – welcome to Thailand, the land of the mighty 7/eleven (followed by another amazing Bangkok stopover)

We arrive in Chiang Mai at 3pm on a Thursday, having left Luang Prabang on Tuesday morning by boat. Next time, bring on the donkeys! We check in at the Thapae Boutique House hotel, really nice and close to the Old City and the amazing Night Markets. You don’t really feel you are in a big city in Chiang Mai, you can just wonder around and relax. The hotels are nice and the restaurants are amazing and diverse. You can find a very traditional noodle house near your always reliable McDonalds. We’re loving it! (sorry…).

At this point it’s screaming to be said: in Thailand, there’s always a 7/eleven convenience store very, really, completely near you. If you stay long enough, you might find one under your bed, for your convenience. Ok, we get it. It’s convenient but in this country it's becoming ridiculous, borderline obsession. Come over and you’ll see what I mean, but before you come, drop by a 7/eleven store and grab us some mixers, will you?

We chill for a day having yet another wonderful Thai massage and then decide to do a tour. An all day fun tour – bamboo rafting, elephant riding, lunch, hill tribe visit, trekking in the forest, a waterfall and yet more hill tribe visiting. Well, yeah, it’s a bit touristy but it’s also absolutely AWESOME! Just the elephant riding is such an unforgettable experience, really amazing creatures but everything else was also really cool and fun. We go back home very tired and sore but completely happy. A lovely full-on, living in the moment day, highly recommended. We stay in Chiang Mai for 7 days and we really enjoy it. We do serious temple hopping, go back for more and more Thai massages, do the night market every night, explore the endless Sunday market for some chilled shopping experiences, Paul does a great Thai cooking course and, as usual, we eat, shop and walk a lot.

We leave Chiang Mai kind of reluctantly as we got our ticket to Myanmar and we need to have a few days in Bangkok to apply for our visas. So, we leave in the overnight bus and arrive in Bangkok at 5am. Go back to the Erawan Hotel. Ok, it’s not the best, but value for money is hard to find in this town. You either go for the hostel dorm very cheap or for the expensive boutique hotel. Good places in between are hard to find, but we keep on looking. We crash for a couple of hours and then straight to the Myanmar embassy. With business taken care of, time to chill out and enjoy Bangkok for 5 days while we’re waiting for our visa. Hello good food, shopping and sightseeing, we love this city.

We go to all the markets and shopping centres, temple hopping, sightseeing, Chinatown and the Royal Palace.  We explore the city using the boat rides along the river, the sky train, the metro system, and our usual very long walks. The food is amazing and there’s a party atmosphere everywhere in Bangkok. It’s definitely one of those places where you can find anything you want and some you don’t. OK. Got our visas, off to Myanmar.

 

About pauluiza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.