Existing Member?

Paul & Luiza´s World Tour

Laos - Luang Prabang - Southeast asia on Prozac and 2 day Mekong Cruise to Thailand

LAOS | Thursday, 25 August 2011 | Views [1233]

Alms ceremony

Alms ceremony

Destination – Lao – Luang Prabang – South East Asia on Prozac (followed by a very long boat ride)

We arrive in Luang Prabang at 2pm, the following day. We shower, eat and sleep till next morning. The Villa Somphong guesthouse is great and the location, overlooking the river, is really nice. The city is very pretty, with a great mix of French & Indochinese architecture, set on the Mekong river. It is a feel good, tourist friendly place but with a closer look, you can see that everything is fairly new and planned for your enjoyment. No problems with that, let’s enjoy it.  We go for cheap meals at the lovely night markets, we explore the nice restaurants and shops, we walk around the magic lanes, visit the Buddha caves, the many wats, museums and we wake up early to see the Alms ceremony, where the local residents offer food to the monks. Yes, it’s definitely a pleasant place and you can check out great pics.

After 9 days in LP we start to make our way to Chiang Mai, Thailand. We decide to go by boat, I guess, donkeys are unavailable this time of the year. It’s a long boat and longer hours are involved, but yeah, we’ll make it. The boat has old bus seats and we can move them around to make ourselves comfortable. We make instant friends with a Brazilian girl, an Aussie and an English guy and two Japanese girls, a nice bunch. On our first day on the Mekong, the 8 hours became 9 ½ , the scenery is nice with mountains and loads of green forest.  We stop at Pak Beng, a very small town in northern Lao and are pleasantly surprised by the reasonable guesthouses available. We crash and sleep like babies (waking up crying every few hours :-)). We wake up early to keep going for day 2. Day 2 is more of the same, same 8 hours becoming 9, the same might Mekong river, the mountains, the green, yeah, you got it, we start to feel a bit hypnotized by both the landscape and the atmosphere. We stop again to sleep in the slightly better town of Huay Xai and idem guesthouse. We go out for dinner and a few beers with our boat BFFs and sleep very well, thanks for asking.  It’s time to keep going again, so, after breakfast, we get through immigration in Lao, get another long boat to cross the river, walk to the Thai immigration, get a new visa, a tuk-tuk to the minivan and catch a 5 hour minivan (hello Thailand, welcome to minivan country) to Chiang Mai, northern Thailand..

 

About pauluiza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.