Existing Member?

Paul & Luiza´s World Tour

Phu Quoc Island – monsoon? What monsoon?

VIETNAM | Monday, 20 June 2011 | Views [2183]

Phu Quoc night market

Phu Quoc night market

Destination – Vietnam – Phu Quoc Island – monsoon? What monsoon?

We go to the travel agent at 9.30pm and they take by taxi to the bus company. From the bus company, a bus takes us and a whole lot of other people to the “big bus station”. At the station we make friends with 3 other people also going to the island. We jump on a bus to Rach Gia at 11pm. The bus trip is insane and it seems like they have it all really well planed so people cannot sleep. The lights are bright and there is a TV on playing loud Vietnamese movies, obviously kept on all night.  The icing on the cake is the ”steward” using a microphone to loudly announce what is going on at each stop (all through the night) and making the poor foreigners jump in their seats every time. Amazingly enough, for the Vietnamese people, it seems to be business as usual. It is not the first time we ask, do they ever sleep? (we also ask if they ever stop eating, but that’s another story).

We arrive in Rach Gia (port), totally sleep deprived, at 5am and our ferry leaves at 1pm. So, we decide to take a room in a (very) basic guest house and try to count some sheep. The 2 ½ hour ferry ride is another loud journey. On top of zillions of very excited Vietnamese families on holidays, there are two huge TVs playing a non-stop Vietnamese music concert so loud, it gets through my ear plugs and make it impossible even to think. Had to retire my book.

OK, now on Phu Quoc, we had to quickly review our “Vietnam really knows what the tourists want” statement. The prices are higher and the service in general, pretty bad. We changed hotels twice in three days, until we finally find the “Sea Star”. It’s a nice and quiet hotel, on the beach, great gardens and they actually sent someone to fix our TV reception when I complained about it, impressive! Phu Quoc is a nice island, not a lot of character though the beaches are pretty OK. We get a lot of monsoon rain in the first few days but it gets a little better and we can go back to our eat/explore/walk routine.

Paul has another birthday on the road and we get to celebrate with some nice, new “instant friends”, in this case, the same guys from the bus station in Saigon. Off to Ganesh Indian Restaurant for a really nice evening.

In less than one week on the island we get torrential monsoon rain as a result of two tropical typhoons on the mainland. It’s a lot of water. Even for someone from Rio de Janeiro. Believe me! Anyway, as a result, a lot of movies and books are consumed. Yeah, it’s been ten days and the rain continues, we finally get a chance to go to the night markets for some great seafood only to make a quick run from another huge monsoon shower. We’re just so glad we bought some cool fake Northface & Mamuth raincoats in Nepal.

Anyway, after 10 seriously wet & windy days, we decided it’s not time to leave Vietnam for Cambodia yet and choose to make our way back to Saigon.

 

About pauluiza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.