Existing Member?

Paul & Luiza´s World Tour

Rajasthan - Jaipur

INDIA | Wednesday, 16 March 2011 | Views [1224]

Amber Fort

Amber Fort

Destination:  India – Rajasthan – Jaipur – Never wear your pants inside out!

So, we leave Pushkar, for Jaipur to catch our overnight train to Amritsar. All nice, all well, all good. Our Taxi is an old white Ambassador, a bit of added old colonial charm to our journey. Half way into the journey, I noticed that my travelling pants (Ali Baba or sarouel, depending where you are) are inside out. Not a good omen at all, but what can I do? Can’t change them over inside the taxi and shock the nice old driver.  Don’t panic woman, not yet anyway.

So, we get to the train station, hot and bothered, people everywhere, and guess what? Our train has been cancelled. First we say, yeah right, it’s the oldest trick in the book, only to find out there is a four day strike and ALL trains up north have been cancelled. As I said before, never wear your pants inside out.

So, the good thing (there’s always a good thing) is that our driver from Pushkar saw us in the refund line and told us he would wait and take us to a hotel. Now we are really glad we tipped him, well invested 100 rupees. So he does take us to a decent hotel and now we have a lot of planning and regrouping to do. We have to call an urgent Lavor-Hopkins crisis management meeting.

Next morning, we decide to “make lemonade” with the train lemon, and we are off to see Jaipur. Our rickshaw driver, Yash, is very nice and protective of us. He takes us to the Observatory, the fantastic Amber Fort (great pics), the Lake Palace and the Monkey Temple, where Paul not only feeds but also runs away from the crazy monkeys. I was already miles away, brave as I am. We finish our day at McDonalds, where we shout Yash for a chicken burger. Jaipur is not a bad city at all. There’s plenty to see, the bazaar is huge and the traffic is OK. We go back to the hotel and start planning our next stop. Ciao Rajasthan, hello Delhi!

 

About pauluiza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.