Existing Member?

Paul & Luiza´s World Tour

Girona, Besalú & Castellfollit de la Roca (La Garrotxa, Catalonia)

SPAIN | Saturday, 15 April 2023 | Views [79]

Girona, Besalú & Castellfollit de la Roca (La Garrotxa, Catalonia) - Spain - A short detour through some gorgeous places in Catalonia on our way to Andorra, country number 73

In Girona, we park the car in an underground car park and I go to the tourism Office and ask about the highlights as we only have a couple of hours to see this city. It's a Saturday and the city is pumping with people walking, running and cycling and of course, bloody tourists. We walk around and visit the basilica and the cathedral, the Jewish barrio, walk along the river and see the colourful houses, see the muñeco (a figurine/doll which is the symbol of the city) and after a lovely couple of hours, walk back to our car as we have a long way to go today, all the way to Andorra, our 73rd country. We leave Girona and drive towards Besalù (40 minutes). The village of Besalú has been voted one of the most beautiful villages in Spain, don't remember what year and it's amazing. It's also one of the oldest medieval villages in Spain, set on a beautiful river and with quite a manageable number of tourists for off season. From Besalú we drive to Castellfollit de la Roca (30 minutes) which is definitely a village to be seen from a distance. The views are breathtaking but the town itself, not so much. Afterwards, we start making our way to Andorra, it's around a 3.5 hour drive. We drive mostly through gorgeous mountains, valleys and tortuous roads but the views are just incredible. At the end, when the GPS says we have another hour´s drive through another national park just to go 5 kms on very hairy mountain roads, we just decide to ignore our  GPS's sexy voice and find our hotel is just five minutes up the road, incredible.

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About pauluiza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.