Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Bermuda Bound

USA | Friday, 27 September 2024 | Views [35]

Italian flair on the Venezia

Italian flair on the Venezia

BERMUDA WASN’T EVEN ON OUR TRAVEL RADAR—resorts on the island are obscenely expensive and the flight schedule is inconvenient. But the idea of sailing from New York, down the Hudson past the Empire State and the Chrysler buildings and Lady Liberty was enticing. For half the cost of resort in Hamilton and without the need to fly, we both could spend a week aboard Carnival Venezia and three full days in Bermuda.

nn

               Our Cabin, Carnival Venezia

                                Carnival Venezia, a dream on the beach

I wasn’t even aware that cruise ships were docking on the Hudson again. It’s been nearly forty years since I trudged up to my office on 57th Street and I hardly recognized Eighth Avenue as we bag-dragged from Port Authority to the cruise terminal on 12th Ave and 48th Street—even the XXX theaters and hookers are gone. Once there boarding went smoothly and our luggage was at our door when we returned from lunch. Venezia was so recently purchased from Costa that she isn’t even showing Carnaval livery. They also decided to keep her Italian panache and art deco posters but are still promising Carnival fun. The passengers skewed younger, sported more tattoos and drank more than other cruises we’ve been on.

bb

           Empire State Building and Chrysler Building

v

                   New York, New York from the Hudson River

bb

                 Brooklyn Bridge

We eased into the river about five o’clock and slowly cruised down the Hudson. Decks were packed with with cruisers in full selfie-mode. The City’s skyline has changed so much I couldn’t pick out much more than the Empire State towering over the Chrysler Building and the Brooklyn Bridge.

bb

      "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses..."

Everyone on board was taking photos of the Statue of Liberty, though in truth, she looked smaller from the top of Venezia than from river level. This would be one of our last views of New York should we disappear in the Bermuda Triangle like so many others are rumored to have done. I wonder how many passengers today would agree with Emma Lazarus's plea.

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.