Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Monkey Business

VIETNAM | Saturday, 30 March 2024 | Views [62]

Female Southern Yellow-Cheeked Crested Gibbon and baby

Female Southern Yellow-Cheeked Crested Gibbon and baby

THE MORNING BIRD CHORUS WAS DROWNED OUT by the WHOOPs, WAs and WOWs of the gibbons—Southern Yellow-Cheeked Crested Gibbons to be exact. A couple of black males and a dirty-blonde female with a baby hang—literally—around the park HQ. Gibbons are born blonde and become black after weening but females turn blonde again around age seven.

bb

        Blonde female and black male Southern Yellow-Cheeked Crested Gibbons

nn

                 Just a couple of guys hangin' out

nn

                      Sweet Cheeks

nn

                      Disregarding the Law of Gravity

We’ve see  other gibbons use their long arms and long, strong fingers to swing from branch to branch farther afield in the park and sometimes we’ve noticed them with their yellow cheeks watching us watching them. But it is the female and her baby that are most interesting. Mom swings through the trees then hangs by one hand, seemingly unconcerned with the Law of Gravity or its consequences while her baby clings tightly.

bb

       Long-tailed Macaque

nn

                         Black-shanked Douc with white tail                  

nn

          Got my eyes on you—Black-shanked Douc

Gibbons are not monkeys—they are Apes— tail-less like orangutans, gorillas, chimpanzees . . . and us. We did see some of Cat Tien’s monkeys. Long-tailed Macaques and Black-shanked Doucs are Old World monkeys—you can tell by their tails. 

bb

            Indian Giant Flying Squirrel

While out “owling” on Saturday night, Andre spotted a Pygmy Slow Loris. It is a tiny primate only about seven inches tall and is related to lemurs of Madagascar and bushbabies of Africa. No photo—I couldn’t even see it high in the tree! I did see AND photograph this Indian Giant Flying Squirrel whose wing-span is larger than my MacBook!

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.