Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Birds of Cat Tien

VIETNAM | Monday, 1 April 2024 | Views [105]

Siamese Fireback in display mode

Siamese Fireback in display mode

TO REACH SOME OF THE MORE DISTANT parts of Cat Tien requires one of the park’s “safari” vehicles. It’s also convenient to have the truck nearby in the event of a late afternoon thunderstorm although more often than not we ended up walking several miles back to our cabins. Even with a ride we’ve been averaging about six miles a day on foot.

nn

             All Aboard to explore 

nn

                Afternoon Thunderstorm

Some of the trails are really great and Andre usually manages to find some new and/or interesting birds. Some like the Ashy-Headed Green Pigeon and Oriental Dollarbird sit in the open on a branch. Colorful Orioles and Barbets stand out wherever they perch while others like the Grey-faced Tit-Babbler and White-Crested Laughingthrush seem always to be hidden in a thicket. We even managed good looks at both Black-and-Red and Dusky Broadbills.

mm

                       Ashy-headed Green Pigeon

nn

                         Blue-eared Barbet

nn

               Black-and-Red Broadbill

nn

                                 Grey-faced Tit-Babbler

nn

                    White-Crested Laughingthrush

Woodpeckers are usually large and can be followed in flight. They have a habit of pecking on the wrong side of the tree but we managed to get good pictures of the Common and Greater Flameback, Lace Woodpecker and the small Black-and-Buff Woodpecker. 

bb

                          Greater Flameback

nn

                    Laced Woodpecker 

nn

                       Black-and-Buff Woodpecker

But the one bird that has eluded us on all of our drives is the Siamese Fireback. Some of us got a good look at one on Saturday but by the time Quang told the driver to stop it was gone. We struck out again on our final morning drive but Andre convinced the driver to give it one more try. 

mm

                         Siamese Fireback

At last! Not only did the bird pause for photos we got to watch him in display mode . . . for a hidden paramour or for us, we don’t know. We saw nearly one hundred different birds in Cat Tien with ten Lifers for us but the Siamese Fireback was possibly the bird of the trip.

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.