Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Blood, Sweat or Tears—Getting Around the Island

INDONESIA | Wednesday, 3 January 2024 | Views [50]

Everyone but Wimps Ride Scooters

Everyone but Wimps Ride Scooters

IT IS POSSIBLE TO WALK EVERYWHERE on Nusa Lembongan. It’s only about ten miles around so it isn’t not the distance but the heat and humidity that will do you in. There are few cars and no taxis so motor scooters reign supreme. Everyone rides scooters—Moms, Dads, schoolgirls and whole families on one bike. With daily rentals at only 70,000 rupiahs, about five bucks, we were tempted. Call us wimps but with a choice among Blood, Sweat or Tears, we choose Sweat. We’ve avoided the blood and tears so far and don’t want to take any chances. So when we have somewhere to go we walk.

bb

                           Yellow Bridge

nn

                  Paibon Temple and the Big Banyan

nn

             Spirit Guard

Yesterday we set out for the iconic Yellow Bridge just to say we saw it. The suspension bridge connects Nusa Lembongan with Nusa Ceningan and is just wide enough for two scooters to pass. Along the way we passed Pura Paibon Temple where a lot  of gong-ringing and chanting was taking place by the giant banyan tree. Widi later told me it is a yearly ceremony to prevent disease during the rainy season.

nn

     Aptly named Pink-Breasted Green Pigeon

nn

                      White-Headed Munia

Connie has been birding on her morning walks. She hasn’t seen any new species but I went along today to snap a few photos. The Pink-Breasted Green Pigeon and White-Headed Munia are some of my favorites. Then we trekked over to Dream Beach and the nearby Blowhole for some photos. Dream Beach is one of the few sandy beaches on this side of the island but with the pounding surf it isn’t always the safest.

nn

                         Dream Beach—Swim at your own Risk

mm

                        Blowhole

nn

 

                 Sunset on Nusa Lembognan

We have been eating dinner here at Ombak Bay. The view is great and the food is OK but the menu is limited. While we were out this afternoon we dropped by the restaurant at Blow Hole Huts to check out their menu. They had a wider range of options and it’s only a ten-minute walk so we decided to return for dinner. They had a full house but the wait was worth it—Chicken Parm for Connie and Poached Snapper for me. Thankfully I brought along my headlamp for the tricky return home.

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.